WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'd like to know if there are any major drawbacks to managing DNS settings for domains that I point to my WebFaction account with someone other than WebFaction.

I generally buy domains at GoDaddy and am comfortable with their DNS-management tools. Would there be any drawback to continuing to manage DNS records at GoDaddy for domains that I want to point to WebFaction?

On the flip side, are there any major advantages to moving DNS admin to WebFaction? (User Interface, Programmability, etc.)?

Additionally - if I continue to manage DNS at GoDaddy, what do I need to do in order to point a subdomain to WebFaction, so that I can use WebFaction's email facilities? Say I have example.com, which is pointed at Google Apps for email, but I'd like to add svc.example.com and have it point to WebFaction for email.

asked 18 Nov '10, 11:53

Tex
accept rate: 0%

edited 18 Nov '10, 11:54

It really does not matter, as the DNS records are forwarded to DNS servers worldwide, regardless if they are here or with your registrar. All you need to point to our servers would be the A record. The A record should be the same IP address as the corresponding "website" record within the control panel. If you are going to use our mail servers the MX servers will also need to be specified. Our official documentation on this may be found here,

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/domains.html#pointing-your-domain-to-webfaction-s-servers

permanent link

answered 18 Nov '10, 12:11

johns
5.3k312
accept rate: 23%

Thanks johns, that's what I thought, and I haven't had any trouble with this setup over the last 12 months. I thought I'd ask, just to be sure.

(19 Nov '10, 05:29) Tex
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×260
×104

question asked: 18 Nov '10, 11:53

question was seen: 3,593 times

last updated: 19 Nov '10, 05:29

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM