WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So, I have a single svn repository for all of the sites that I do for various clients (half a dozen or so). I've used git svn clone to turn that into a git repository.

What I'd like to do is now use git to manage my sites, so that when I do a push from my local box, that's a deployment (we're only talking about static content here).

I've seen http://toroid.org/ams/git-website-howto but I don't really understand the workings of what it's telling me to do when it's talking about the bare repository and working tree and denycurrentbranch configuration, nor do I really know how to map what I have into the on-disk model that I have with webfaction (ie, applications within ~/webapps/foo).

How can I achieve what I want?

Or, failing that, what's my best route to slicing up the repository so that I have one repo per site? I guess I could duplicate the repository once per site, then snip out the parts not relating to a particular site... I feel like I'm missing something, though.

asked 18 Nov '10, 14:36

petemounce's gravatar image

petemounce
accept rate: 0%

Have you looked into the use of fabric for deployment? I would think that you would be best to split up your sites into separate repositories. Probably make life a little easier. I'm not all that familiar, as I haven't done this myself yet, but you might be able to use git's hooks option to push out your changes once you commit them.

(18 Nov '10, 16:01) bmeyer71 ♦♦ bmeyer71's gravatar image

I agree, fabric would be a good option. It is hard to give any solid information as most people go about it differently since each site has slightly different deployment needs. Searching google for 'git deploy webfaction' shows an array of personal blogs with with individual examples. If you get stuck we are always happy to take a look, just send us a support ticket.

(18 Nov '10, 16:08) johns ♦♦ johns's gravatar image

@bmeyer71 I hadn't looked at fabric; looking, it seems a little heavyweight for my use. All my sites are static and so a source-control push is sufficient, really.

That said, I guess I could set up a post-commit to rsync from WF-git repo into WF-webapps/{site} or something like that...

Hmm; thanks. I'll try that. If I could mark a comment as an answer, I would have :-)

@johns That hadn't occurred to me either :doh:.

(02 Apr '11, 07:28) petemounce petemounce's gravatar image
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×106
×4

question asked: 18 Nov '10, 14:36

question was seen: 1,685 times

last updated: 02 Apr '11, 07:28

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM