WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi everyone,

I love SSH access as much as the next guy, but sometimes I really would like to have a web based file manager to manage my files as admin. This is especially true for chmod'ing and deleting/moving directories. If I do such operations on an FTP client it takes a long time to gather the information on the remote files and apply the changes on many little files. Thus the question- Would any of these ajax web file managers work well for me?

http://www.ajaxplorer.info

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ajax-explorer/

Or another suggestion maybe? I don't want this for my users, just for me as the admin.

Thanks in advance!

asked 15 Dec '11, 08:08

sb56637
accept rate: 0%

Yes you can install either of the above applications on WebFaction. I would recommend ajaxplorer it has better permissions and the ability to set the specific paths. Here is how to install:

1. Create a Static/CGI/PHP application in the control panel.
  2. Mount that application on a URL with a website.
  3. Upload or wget ajaxplorer to ~/webapps/<your applications="">
  4. Visit URL and follow configurations from application.
permanent link

answered 15 Dec '11, 09:09

timg ♦♦
1.3k4
accept rate: 30%

Thanks very much! I'll give it a shot.

(15 Dec '11, 09:38) sb56637

@timg Hi, i have one question about EULA, i work with other students on a project, and i need to store pdf and some other works on a shared space. AjaxExplorer is a good solution for me on webfaction, but i have no website, because ftp is private, it's ok for EULA term ?

(17 Apr '12, 15:38) reyman64

If you're referring to our Acceptable Use Policy , then no, storing files that are not for the primary purpose of hosting a website, and associated email functions, is not permitted. Sorry!

(17 Apr '12, 16:57) seanf

AUP not easy to understand/intrepret, so if i understand, there is no possibility to have a private web front end to ftp ?

(18 Apr '12, 04:53) reyman64

Hi,

You can have a web front-end to FTP, as long as you make sure that the files you store on it are directly related to the websites you are hosting with us. Also, it should not be anonymous (it should require users to log in).

(18 Apr '12, 05:14) todork
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×8
×5

question asked: 15 Dec '11, 08:08

question was seen: 3,611 times

last updated: 18 Apr '12, 05:14

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM