WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

I just switched to Webfaction, and my Drupal 6 site is now up and running very well.

The only issue I'm having is that the email notifications that my site sends out have in the header: "mailed-by: web308.webfaction.com". The problem is that it makes the email addresses looks spoofed if the domain name and the sender are not the same. How can I get rid of this so that these messages don't get flagged as spam? I would prefer to avoid additional Drupal modules if at all possible. Rather, I would like to stick with sendmail. It should be entirely possible to fix this, since I used the exact same setup on my old site and I didn't have this problem.

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips.

asked 16 Dec '11, 00:18

sb56637
accept rate: 0%

We do not make customization such as this on our e-mail servers or default sendmail utility. Identifying the sending e-mail server in headers helps identify it to other providers. You would have to use SMTP and another host for e-mail or your own e-mail server. You should have no issues of false positives for SPAM from having one of our servers identify itself as the sender. You may if someone else on the machine is sending SPAM, however If you do have issues with a blacklist like this contact our support and we will work with that provider to isolate the source of the SPAM on the server and be removed from the blacklist.

(16 Dec '11, 01:41) johns

It doesn't seem to be a total blacklist, but my own Gmail account was sending all or most of the messages into the spam folder. I imagine it would raise the spam probability rating on spamassassin and the likes as well.

Google also recognizes that this is not at ideal situation. It describes the isse here: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1311182&ctx=mail It says I could publish an SPF record with the IP of the sender. But even so, this is one additional step to something as common as sending emails via sendmail.

(16 Dec '11, 08:21) sb56637

We will not change the setting. It should not affect spamassassin. You can use an SPF record, it is outlined in our documentation.

(16 Dec '11, 17:14) johns
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×260
×10
×1

question asked: 16 Dec '11, 00:18

question was seen: 5,391 times

last updated: 16 Dec '11, 17:14

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM