WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have two servers with web faction web-1 and web-2. I created a new app on web-2 while the domain originally pointed at web-1. I now pointed the website for the domain to web-2. I understand that domain propagation can take quite long so naturally my new app will not be available instantly. What really bugs me though is that, now my old app is not accepting requests any more so the site is down.

This is not technically necessary, the old app could still accept the requests from people that still point to it. But how can I set this up? The control panel mixes the domain configuration together with the apache endpoint and I don't see how I can have my cake and eat it too.

asked 16 Dec '11, 10:07

Roman Almeida
accept rate: 0%

You can create a second website record for the old server and domain. This will induce a 'round-robin' effect at a DNS level and still allow the nginx proxy server to route data if the domain is visited on that IP. Documentation may be found here. You should remove the second website record in 48 hours, as it should not take any longer than that for DNS propagation.

permanent link

answered 16 Dec '11, 17:21

johns
5.4k412
accept rate: 23%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×128

question asked: 16 Dec '11, 10:07

question was seen: 2,959 times

last updated: 16 Dec '11, 17:21

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM