WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm developing an API implementation that will read all the config from an INI style file, so that's possible to setup all your needs in a fly. I've also planned to support more extended "code support" with fabric, at least for django.

On my way, i've found two little problems:

• There isn't any account for testing purposes (or any software that emulates the answers), making it difficult (and risky) to develop such things. I saw that this question has been made by an other user, what's the status of this?
  • For create_website(), you specify the destination IP address. With create_app(), it creates the app on the machine you login()? Wouldn't be better to specify the destination machine implicitly in create_app()?

Thanks!

asked 19 Dec '11, 18:50

Unai Zalakain
accept rate: 0%

edited 19 Dec '11, 18:52

The WebFaction API essentially carries out Control Panel tasks for an account. The Control Panel performs actions which can affect all aspects of an account and surpasses the boundaries of a single machine on your account. Therefore, there's no easy way to create any sort of testing environment. Instead, I would recommending signing up for a second - and completely separate - WebFaction account. You can use this account for testing and then cancel within 60 days, requesting a full refund (just put "API testing" in the feedback when closing the account).

As for create_website(), you must specify the IP address because it's possible that you have purchased one or more dedicated IP addresses for a machine. Secondly, create_app() is very much tied to a single machine, so that means that the destination machine is implicitly inferred according to the machine that you login() to. If dedicated IP addresses did not exist, it would also be possible to infer the destination machine in create_website() too, just as create_app() does.

permanent link

answered 19 Dec '11, 20:49

ryans ♦♦
5.0k103760
accept rate: 43%

Thanks!

About the testing environment... Wouldn't be possible for already registered users to ask for an 60 days testing period account without having to pay anything? Being already registered (i think) guaranties that it would't be used for bad purposes and if so, that it will be "tied" to your person.

PD: Sorry about my mistake with implicit/explicit :-P

(19 Dec '11, 21:47) Unai Zalakain

It may be possible to arrange something like this, and it would have to be handled on a case-by-case basis. Feel free to open a ticket and we'll be happy to escalate it for consideration.

The current trial period system does somewhat prevent systematic abuses in that a single user won't be able to repeatedly request refunds (only one trial period is allowed per person). However, having the account tied to a trustworthy client is indeed preferable as you describe, in order to prevent AUP and TOS abuses.

(19 Dec '11, 22:06) ryans ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×76
×9
×4
×3
×2

question asked: 19 Dec '11, 18:50

question was seen: 2,409 times

last updated: 19 Dec '11, 22:06

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM