WebFaction
Community site: login faq

OK I am retarded but I am having trouble understanding "Mailboxes" and how to access them using a POP Client.

What I'm not getting is that the "Mailbox" has no domain associated with it (no .com etc), it's just a single username. I'm not understanding how this works? Mail clients are expecting an email address format??

asked 22 Dec '11, 13:57

joshcloud9
accept rate: 0%

The WebFaction mail system works with two basic units, email addresses and mailboxes. An email address is a public identifier where others can direct mail (for example, me@example.com). A mailbox is a place on the WebFaction mail servers where email received by one or more addresses is stored.

Documentation for setting up mailboxes and email addresses is found here.

Steps for setting up various mail clients are found here.

We also have two interfaces for webmail.

I hope this helps!

permanent link

answered 22 Dec '11, 17:41

maryh
1.3k7
accept rate: 35%

OK this still does not make sense.

I understand how to access email using an email client but how does one access a mailbox that has no .com associated with it (using POP)?

Is there a Webfaction mail server address that then checks the mailbox account?

I have looked at the tutorial and it does not mention how to setup a MAILBOX using POP.

If this is not possible what is the point of having a mailbox that can't be accessed using POP?

I am not too familiar with IMAP but is that the answer here?

(22 Dec '11, 17:55) joshcloud9

Mail is sent to your email address. It is delivered to your mailbox.

What is the email client you wish to use? If we know that, we can give you more precise instructions.

(22 Dec '11, 18:02) maryh

I must be retarded because I am not understanding how this can possibly work? I have setup tons of email accounts in CPanel and other systems. But please explain to me how a POP client can access a MAILBOX that has no domain name associated with it? Unless Webfaction has a single mail server that accesses the account from there. But I see no reference to a Webfaction mail server like mail.webfaction.com

I am repeating myself here because I am not getting any answer to my question...

Can someone please explain this to me or is it simply not possible?

(22 Dec '11, 18:31) joshcloud9

We have a mail.webfaction.com mentioned here:

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/email_clients/other.html#other-mail-clients

We set up a mail structure such that you only ever interface with one server while the backend can grow and expand.

(22 Dec '11, 18:42) klynton

OK I see that it uses mail.webfaction.com That was all I was looking for...

(22 Dec '11, 18:51) joshcloud9
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×3
×2

question asked: 22 Dec '11, 13:57

question was seen: 1,634 times

last updated: 22 Dec '11, 18:57

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM