WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am wondering if each application instance is tied to a particular domain?

What I mean by this is if I setup a new domain, and then assign an existing application to it. It doesn't seem to work? This makes sense as each instance of an application needs it's own database.

So for instance if I create a Wordpress application (lets call it WP1) for domain1.com, and then I want to use Wordpress on another domain. I cannot use WP1 I need to create another instance of Wordpress for domain2.com.

Does that make sense?

asked 29 Dec '11, 17:34

joshcloud9
accept rate: 0%

If you want to show identical WordPress content on two domains, you can assign the same WordPress app to both websites, assign both domains to the same website, or redirect one domain to the other.

If you want two different WordPress blogs at different domains, you would need two WordPress installations and two websites.

I hope this helps!

permanent link

answered 29 Dec '11, 17:41

maryh ♦♦
1.3k7
accept rate: 36%

Thanks MaryH, and I have read the info in the welcome email NOW! So I understand the answer to my other previous (dumb) question about email :)

(29 Dec '11, 17:49) joshcloud9

p.s. So it would make sense to name the app instances to indicate which domain they are for!

(29 Dec '11, 17:50) joshcloud9

You're very welcome. The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask when you need to :)

(29 Dec '11, 17:51) maryh ♦♦

That is a good way of organizing. I do the same thing with my account.

(29 Dec '11, 17:52) maryh ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×240
×128
×57

question asked: 29 Dec '11, 17:34

question was seen: 1,775 times

last updated: 29 Dec '11, 17:53

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM