WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I cannot create databases from within phpMyAdmin. I can create the "bigger" kind of Database from within the WebFaction control panel, but I cannot create the "smaller" type within a Database itself. How do I give myself the correct permissions? If I'm missing something obvious, feel free to laugh at me after pointing it out.

alt text alt text

asked 31 Dec '11, 17:33

andrex
accept rate: 0%

You can only create databases within the control panel. Your database user does not have sudo permissions, so it can not create or delete databases.

permanent link

answered 31 Dec '11, 17:40

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Also, by 'smaller database' do you mean a table? The is no such thing as a 'bigger' and 'smaller' database in MySQL.

(31 Dec '11, 17:41) johns

I just mean, the way "database" is used differs depending on the context. CREATE DATABASE from within phpMyAdmin is not the same as creating a database from the WebFaction control panel.

(31 Dec '11, 17:44) andrex

Yes it is the same. The only difference is you can not directly use the CREATE DATABASE command, the control panel does this for you.

(31 Dec '11, 17:48) johns

It's not the same, because they will have different login names, which I'm trying to avoid.

(31 Dec '11, 17:52) andrex

On the shared MySQL server your databases must start with your account username. It is a limited user and can not execute all the commands, such as CREATE DATABASE or user permissions. Each database has its own username. This is the control panels purpose, to execute these commands for you and enforcing the needed guidelines. If you want more control you must build your own MySQL server from source code. For instruction on this see this post.

(31 Dec '11, 18:02) johns
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×168
×23
×1

question asked: 31 Dec '11, 17:33

question was seen: 5,156 times

last updated: 31 Dec '11, 18:04

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM