WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm trying to setup DNS using webfaction as the webhost and namecheap.com as my registrar and DNS host. In the past the easiest way to do this was to use a CNAME redirect within namecheap to an NS on the webhost.

i.e. @ example.com CNAME ns1.webfaction.com

This is useful because it doesn't require me to do an A record to the particular IP address in use by the webfaction server I happen to be on.

Is this supported? If so, what's the NS server I should use?

asked 03 Jan '12, 15:12

westhomas
accept rate: 0%

You shouldn't do CNAME redirects to ns{1-4}.webfaction.com - our name servers are separate machines from our web servers, so if you redirect to a NS, you won't see your site.

If you're going to use external DNS, then our recommendation is that you use A records to point your domains and subdomains to your web server IP, as described in our documentation: Using Your Own Name Server

If you're dead-set on using CNAME records, then set them to point to your server's canonical host name, eg webNNN.webfaction.com, or to some other subdomain that consistently resolves to your web server IP.

permanent link

answered 03 Jan '12, 16:22

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Perfect, that's what I was looking for. Are there any downsides that you can see to using CNAME? Why do you recommend A over CNAME?

(03 Jan '12, 16:33) westhomas

Using an A record assigns an IP directly to a domain/subdomain, whereas using a CNAME just aliases a domain or subdomain to another host name. So, when you're using CNAME records, there's an additional lookup involved to get to the final IP address.

There are also a number of restrictions applicable to CNAME aliases that don't apply to regular A records - see the CNAME article on Wikipedia for details.

(03 Jan '12, 16:53) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×105
×19

question asked: 03 Jan '12, 15:12

question was seen: 14,816 times

last updated: 03 Jan '12, 16:53

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM