WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello! I am setting up a web site for a friend and have a few simple questions. Now I am a programmer but with little experience with web servers. I have the static/cgi/php app setup for "/" which gives me my index page a-ok. I have a few other html pages that I have uploaded but I cant access them. i have a directory that is /gallery on the server with some images and a html file for a simple jquery gallery page but when i go to /gallery/gallery.html nothing is there. I've read over the documentation but can't really find anything on pure static pages besides how to setup the index page. Any help is appreciated

asked 20 Nov '10, 12:55

bemon
accept rate: 0%

I've just had a look at your account. The problem is that you've put all of your files at the root of your home directory, instead of putting them in your app directory.

For example, you have a '~/gallery' directory. If you want to serve that from your site, then you need to move that to your web app directory, eg '~/webapps/name_of_your_app/gallery'. Or, better yet, create a new 'gallery' static/cgi/php app and move your gallery files to that, then add that app to your site with '/gallery' as the URL path.

We have some examples of how to set up basic sites here: Example Websites - WebFaction User Guide

permanent link

answered 20 Nov '10, 13:10

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Sean,

can you explain why it is better yet to add a second static/cgi/php application 'gallery' in stead of having a subdirectory 'gallery'? Is it a matter of re-use? Speed?

Thanks, Roger

(27 Nov '10, 19:10) rogererens

Hi Roger,

Adding a separate application allows you more freedom since you can mount it on multiple domains or sub-domains. So re-use would be the answer. :)

Also, you can have a different set of .htaccess rules for the gallery app that do not affect any of your other apps.

(27 Nov '10, 19:18) klynton
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×125
×10

question asked: 20 Nov '10, 12:55

question was seen: 3,375 times

last updated: 27 Nov '10, 19:19

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM