WebFaction
Community site: login faq

hi there, we're using webfaction for a couple of years now with HTML. The website (which is for a business organisation) is already online and filled with information. Now we would like to move on this website to Wordpress so it will be easier for many employees to renew or update our website.

i found an explanation video (http://docs.webfaction.com/software/wordpress/getting-started.html) about how to install wordpress on my webfactionaccount. in de mean time of building a new website with wordpress, i don't want my original business organisation website to go offline.

i'm thinking about creating a subdomain on panel.webfaction.com to build the new wordpress-website, but my question is how to rename this subdomain at the end in my originally websiteadress.. is this possible anyway?! Or, is it possible that webfaction automatically changes my website in a wordpress-website?

thanks for any insight.

asked 09 Jan '12, 04:56

moreminds
accept rate: 0%

One thing you need to consider when converting HTML site to WordPress are the URL's. You might lost search traffic and lost incoming links if after the migration, the URL's of your WP site won't match to that of HTML site. This is not an answer to your question, I just drop my unsolicited advice, I hope you don't mind.

(12 May '12, 10:57) Romel

Yes, creating a subdomain and installing your Wordpress instance there should be the best way to go. You could then update and test your application until you are satisfied with it without interfering with the traffic on your main site.

When that's done and you are happy to get your Wordpress blog live, all you need to do is to edit the website entry that handles your main domain and set the Wordpress blog application there instead of your current static html application. Changes should be almost instant and no further actions should be required.

permanent link

answered 09 Jan '12, 06:25

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

Thanks Ilias!

(09 Jan '12, 08:22) moreminds
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×244
×37
×1

question asked: 09 Jan '12, 04:56

question was seen: 4,545 times

last updated: 12 May '12, 13:35

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM