WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I've read a lot of documentation this morning and tried several approaches but can't seem to get this right. I have a working Wordpress (& BuddyPress) site running as name.username.webfactional.com. I have a company domain name on GoDaddy and added a redirect of a subdomain to the webfactional server:

name.companyname.com is set on GoDaddy to point to name.username.webfactional.com.

That works and I can reach the site with the new domain but, of course, the Wordpress site still generates and shows the old urls.

I've tried adding the new domain to the Webfactional control panel, removing the old website entry and adding a new one in the panel, then changing the 'Wordpress address' and 'Site address' settings in Wordpress. I seem to get either a 'too many redirects' error or a 'site not configured' error.

It feels like maybe I'm missing a step or activating them in the wrong order. Can anyone give me a step-by-step procedure for what I'm trying to do?

asked 13 Jan '12, 12:30

jkhile's gravatar image

jkhile
accept rate: 100%

I am also confused about this. Any help would be awesome!

(13 Jan '12, 13:51) aboutaaron aboutaaron's gravatar image

I did get this working finally. My main problem had been that I had added a redirection to the DNS record rather than adding a new 'A' record pointing directly to the proper IP address provided by my Webfaction. Here then, are the steps that finally worked for me:

I removed my application from the name.use.webfactional.com domain in the websites panel.

I added the new domain, app.mydomain.com using the Webfaction domains panel

I added a new website in the websites panel attaching my Wordpress app to the new domain (and noted the IP address of the server).

In GoDaddy, I used the 'DNS Manager' tool on the 'Domain Manager' screen to add a new 'A' record to the domain record, setting the host field to the new subdomain prefix I wanted and setting 'Points to' field to the IP address of my WebFaction server (noted above).

Finally, since my WordPress app will be running at the root of the new domain, I set the WordPress | Settings | General 'WordPress Address (url)' and 'Site Address (url)' fields both to the full URL using the new subdomain: 'http://app.mydomain.com'

permanent link

answered 22 Jan '12, 11:50

jkhile's gravatar image

jkhile
accept rate: 100%

Please see the following document: WordPress Links Point to the Wrong Domain

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 13 Jan '12, 14:03

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
11.9k21333
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×238
×128

question asked: 13 Jan '12, 12:30

question was seen: 5,147 times

last updated: 22 Jan '12, 11:50

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL