I realize that we can control the mime-types via .htaccess if we're using webfaction's Apache static app, but there's no reason this shouldn't be supported on webfaction's Nginx (no .htaccess) static app. It really should return a mime-type of "text/cache-manifest" for all files with the ".manifest" extension. This is part of the HTML5 Offline Applications spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/offline-webapps/), is critical for making a webapp work offline, and is supported by a bunch of browsers -- but only if it is served with the right mime-type.

I had already setup my own Nginx custom app (as a reverse proxy), so I'll just move it (and the rest of my static stuff) over to that, but it would have been nice to keep it on webfaction's Nginx static (no .htaccess) app.

asked 21 Nov '10, 10:21

peter_rust's gravatar image

peter_rust
accept rate: 0%

edited 21 Nov '10, 10:24

Ok, we'll look into adding text/cache-manifest to our default MIME types and will post an answer here when we make a decision.

(21 Nov '10, 10:40) seanf ♦♦ seanf's gravatar image

Thanks, Sean!

(21 Nov '10, 11:10) peter_rust peter_rust's gravatar image

Ok, we've added "text/cache-manifest manifest" to our Nginx and Apache MIME types. Hope that helps!

link

answered 24 Dec '10, 16:15

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
8.0k1726
accept rate: 39%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×26
×5
×2
×1
×1

Asked: 21 Nov '10, 10:21

Seen: 3,756 times

Last updated: 24 Dec '10, 16:15

Plans & prices    Sign up    Why WebFaction?    Contact us    Affiliate program    Support    Legal    Jobs    Blog    Control panel login