WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hallo,

I'm searching a long time for a solution of a simple thing: How can I change the admin password in Plone 4 / Zope?

When I go to the zope/manage site and look inner acl-user-folder I can't find a way for changing the password.

Please excuse my poor english and the circumstance that I'm not familiar with Plone...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Claus

asked 23 Jan '12, 01:29

mutetella
accept rate: 0%

edited 23 Jan '12, 01:31

Your 'admin' user and the users that you create via "instance adduser" are created in acl_users at the root of Zope, not acl_users within your Plone site.

The reason you're not seeing those users is that you have virtual_hosting mappings at the root of your ZMI that direct all requests for domain.com and www.domain.com to the root your Plone site, so if you log into Plone and then go to the ZMI from there, you're not actually at the root of the Zope, so you're not seeing the correct acl_users.

To fix this, create a new site in the WebFaction control panel, using a subdomain like "admin.your_username.webfactional.com", and add your Plone app to it (this won't affect your existing site).

Wait a few minutes after making that change, then go to http://admin.your_username.webfactional.com/manage_main and log in as your admin user.

Once you're logged in there, you'll see all of the top-level Zope objects, like Control_Panel and acl_users. Click acl_users, then click users, and you'll see your admin user and the other users that you've created via "instance adduser". Click the "Password" link next to whatever user to change their password.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 23 Jan '12, 09:15

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

It works.... wonderful! You make my day, thanks a lot!!!

But I don't understand, why I can't find this information on any side which I was combed through... Am I the only one with this problem?

However... 'admin' is no longer a ghost for me... ;-)

Claus

(24 Jan '12, 03:17) mutetella

You can update the admin password via the following steps:

1. Open the Zope Management Interface (go to http://example.com/manage)
  2. Click the "acl_users" item
  3. Click the "users" item
  4. Click the "Password" link next to the "admin" user
  5. Update the password here
  6. Optional: update the ~/webapps/plone/zinstance/adminPassword.txt file in case you forget it.

Note: You should also be able to set a password manually (if you have forgotten the admin password) using zpasswd.py, but the specifics depend heavily on the zope version.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 23 Jan '12, 03:21

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

edited 23 Jan '12, 03:21

This is exactly, what I have try to do. However when I click "acl_users" -> "source_users" the list contains only new added users but no user 'admin' which will created automatically during the plone/zope installation.

What is wrong?

(23 Jan '12, 05:08) mutetella

You could try adding the admin user (or a new manager user) using one of the tips in this page.

(23 Jan '12, 05:19) iliasr ♦♦

Ok, adding (overwriting) an user 'admin' don't work cause this user already exists (would be so nice and easy...;-). Ok, I have add a new user via

~/webapps/plone/zinstance/bin/instance adduser boss mypassword

Now I can logging into 'domain/manage' as user 'boss' but both, the new user 'boss' and the init user 'admin', aren't listet in acl_users-folder.

Where are this users?? I can logging in as 'boss' and 'admin', but I can't see or change anything...

(23 Jan '12, 05:54) mutetella

Hi,

You can try logging in at: http://example.org/aq_parent/acl_users/manage

This should be the root ZMI for Zope, and you should be able to edit the admin password there.

(23 Jan '12, 06:28) todork

Thanks for the previous help... but nothing solve my problem... :-(

It seems that the init-user 'admin' and all other users, I create via ./bin/instance adduser or ./bin/plonectl adduser don't exist. Only users that created directly on the plone-site or via acl_users -> source_users -> Add a user on the domain/manage-site will be listed and can be modified.

What about user 'admin' (and in the meantime 'boss' & 'testuser')... :-(

(23 Jan '12, 08:18) mutetella

Mutella,

What you have done wrong is you are login to the virtual site rather than in the Zope Management Interface (ZMI). (You do not see the Source_users in ZMI) Ryan have already answered the steps for you.

Below is the full path in mine to edit the Admin as I have installed Plone directly on my Server eg http://mysite:8080/acl_users/users/manage_users/acl_users/users/manage_users

MUTELLA:

" This is exactly, what I have try to do. However when I click "acl_users" -> "source_users" the list contains only new added users but no user 'admin' which will created automatically during the plone/zope installation. What is wrong?

permanent link

answered 05 Oct '12, 20:30

schutech
accept rate: 0%

edited 05 Oct '12, 20:34

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×45
×23
×18
×2

question asked: 23 Jan '12, 01:29

question was seen: 14,036 times

last updated: 05 Oct '12, 20:34

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM