WebFaction
Community site: login faq

When will webfaction support python virtual environments, right out of the box? A python virtualenv lets me build an environment per application. I can then "pip install xxxx" to my heart's content without worry that I'll cobber something else.

Presently with webfacfion I'm having tremendous struggles with Django libraries and paths, in part because all my Python 2.7 Django apps share the same environment, and in part because I occasionally forget to type "python2.7" rather than "python" when running commands.

There's a complex manual procedure outlined at: http://community.webfaction.com/questions/4253/simple-virtualenv-usage-with-django

The question here is when will that just be baked in?

asked 25 Jan '12, 15:31

brycenesbitt
accept rate: 0%

edited 25 Jan '12, 15:32

I don't have sufficient reputation points to +1 this question, so I'll just +1 the desire to have virtualenv pre-installed here in the comments.

I have a new webfaction account and i find i have to re-figure out how to do this. I had it working in my old account and found it essential!

Also, integration of fabric and virtualenv (and virtualenvwrapper): I still have not figured this out so I can't automate my sysadmin. Again, if webfaction had a solution, it would save all of us time and headache.

(11 Feb '12, 10:19) twtwt

They are already 'supported', if you ask us a question about them we will answer it. There is no need to include them in the installer as they are 'extra' like any other python module. Most users would not want us to include another step in deployment, and so they will not be 'baked in' to the deploy. Even if they were, it would not solve the problem of you typing the wrong command or other unanticipated user issues that might happen.

permanent link

answered 25 Jan '12, 19:07

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

If every control panel deploy simply set up a virtual environment, it would change nothing for the people who install a single app of each type, but it would be a big benefit to those with two or more.

The "python2.7" problem would be solved as far as I can tell, as each virtual environment would call that particular binary "python".

(30 Jan '12, 20:24) brycenesbitt

I have to agree with @brycenesbitt this would be a better default setup

(04 Dec '12, 07:05) anentropic

I don't agree with brycenesbitt. If you are someone with multiple apps, you should use Fabric to set up your app. On my PC, fab create:"myapp" creates the app, database, git repo, virtualenv, static app, install a preconfigured Django template app and configures gunicorn; all with this single command.

(05 Dec '12, 09:21) Peter

Everybody has a different way of doing things, which is why we don't set up a virtualenv for installed apps out of the box. Anyone who needs this is free to build their own installer via our API.

(05 Dec '12, 16:45) seanf

The vast number of choices is, in fact, part of the problem. Having a sensible default however, helps. The current default seems creaky and improvable.

(25 Jul '13, 18:01) brycenesbitt
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×337
×57
×55
×24

question asked: 25 Jan '12, 15:31

question was seen: 48,903 times

last updated: 25 Jul '13, 18:01

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM