WebFaction
Community site: login faq

What’s the correct way to have incoming emails flagged as spam and given a spam level? I have, for two mailboxes:

• Enable spam protection: Yes
  • Discard spam: No
  • Spam redirect folder: Empty for one mailbox, Junk for another (no mail ever gets put into the Junk folder except manually by me, which is what I would expect given Discard spam: No)
  • Use manual procmailrc: No for one mailbox, Yes for another

Mail coming into to each mailbox is always marked:

X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: 0
X-Spam-Level: 
X-Spam-Status: No, score=x tagged_above=-999 required=3 tests=[]

regardless of how spammy it is or which mailbox it goes to, which leads me to believe I’ve set something up incorrectly.

This is the procmail recipe I use for the mailbox that uses procmail; it works, but because X-Spam-Level is always empty it never triggers on spam.

:0
* !^X-Spam-Level: \*\*\*\*\*\*
* !^Precedence: bulk
* !Subject: (Re: )?\[COMIXSCHOLARS-L\]
* !^Return-Path: \<fontforge-users
* !^Subject: Ignore
{ }

:0 E:
.Ignore/
#/dev/null

asked 27 Jan '12, 10:55

Hoboes
accept rate: 25%

edited 27 Jan '12, 10:56

The "Discard spam" and "Spam redirect folder" options are ignored if you have "Use manual procmailrc" checked. So, if you want to use a procmail rule, then you'll need to do all of your spam filtering that way. We have some information on how to do that in our documentation here: Automatically Filtering Email

That said, based on the example headers you've provided, it doesn't look like Spamassassin is detecting any spam at all for your messages. We'd need to see the complete headers of your mail to diagnose this further - if you'd like us to do that, please open a support ticket and include that information. Thanks!

Edit: with the information provided in a support ticket, we were able to identify a problem with our Spamassassin installation that came up following a recent upgrade of some system packages. The problem has been resolved, and spam scoring is working again.

permanent link

answered 27 Jan '12, 15:23

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

edited 27 Jan '12, 17:08

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×69
×38
×33
×4

question asked: 27 Jan '12, 10:55

question was seen: 3,049 times

last updated: 27 Jan '12, 17:08

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM