WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm attempting to push a large set of changes via http, something around 60mb to a git repository. I've configured the post buffer as instructed in the docs but its still fails. I get this error:

fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly fatal: expected ok/error, helper said '4004???A???+q??&D??5??,M?c }g???<?&??56uQv??T??Pp?S???z??????????{y?L??{??,?<?_??`?U R??e?8?'????M|^Q??:K?????X???pm??oWcV???-?x??U8??:?rn?E????JL???X'

in addition to the 411 errors that are documented. I've got three other git repos set up that I've been working with just fine, although I've not attempted to push that much in the way of changes before

Any insights would be welcome. Thanks

asked 30 Jan '12, 21:23

mapache
accept rate: 0%

In theory the postbuffer setting should allow very large commits to be pushed without a problem, but it seems that the front-end server stack is getting in the way of this large changeset, and causing the commit to fail (it needs to be a single data stream; any interruption in that could cause a remote server hung up unexpectedly error).

In this case, I would suggest simply pushing this one changeset over SSH instead of HTTP. You don't need to do a git remote add and add a permanent remote, but should be able to just do something like this:

git push username@username.webfactional.com:webapps/git/repos/therepo.git

This will push the changeset over SSH, which is the most stable protocol available. You should still be able to push future changes over the normal HTTP, and also others should be able to download the changes over HTTP without a problem. In other words, you should be able to fall back on a single SSH push whenever you need it.

permanent link

answered 30 Jan '12, 21:42

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×111
×108
×1

question asked: 30 Jan '12, 21:23

question was seen: 4,108 times

last updated: 30 Jan '12, 21:42

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM