WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I would like to install GNU Mediagoblin. Mediagoblin has the following requirements:

• Python 2.6 or 2.7 (WebFaction supports)
  • python-lxml (support?)
  • git (WebFaction supports)
  • MongoDB (WebFaction supports)
  • Python Imaging Library (PIL) (WebFaction supports)
  • virtualenv (support?)

Can anybody offer advice regarding installing these Mediagoblin on a WebFaction shared host? Would it be difficult to support this project by creating an one-click installer?

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 09 Feb '12, 13:01

brylie
accept rate: 0%

It is mentioned in the Official doc for enabling media of Video type , that we've to add [[mediagoblin.media_types.video]] under the [plugins] section in your mediagoblin_local.ini and restart MediaGoblin.

When tried getting ...

./bin/gmg dbupdate
/home/kesavan/webapps/mediagoblin/lib/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools-0.9.8-py2.7.egg/pkg_resources.py:1054: UserWarning: /home/kesavan/.python-eggs is writable by group/others and vulnerable to attack when used with get_resource_filename. Consider a more secure location (set with .set_extraction_path or the PYTHON_EGG_CACHE environment variable).
WARNING:mediagoblin.init.config:When setting up config section, could not import 'mediagoblin.media_types.video'

rpm -qa| grep gst
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.29-2.el6.x86_64
gstreamer-0.10.29-1.el6.x86_64
phonon-backend-gstreamer-4.6.2-26.el6_4.x86_64
gstreamer-tools-0.10.29-1.el6.x86_64

Seems there's no python-gst0.10 for Video support. Is there any way to fix this ?

(10 Dec '13, 15:51) kesavan

Technically you should be able to install the python binding directly from source, but we'll open an internal ticket to have this considered for global addition, since the source build is not completely straightforward.

Update 2013-12-17: Yes, we can add this on CentOS 6 servers, but this package has not been previously requested. We will need at least three customer requests before it's considered, so if anyone is interested, then please add a comment to this thread.

(11 Dec '13, 00:35) ryans ♦♦

Hi!

I'm the MediaGoblin lead developer. I'd actually love to help get MediaGoblin working on webfaction. If you run into trouble, drop into #mediagoblin on irc.freenode.net and ask for help... we're pretty friendly!

Also, edited this post as I accidentally submitted it too soon ;)

permanent link

answered 09 Feb '12, 18:59

cwebber

edited 09 Feb '12, 19:00

Here are the basic steps for installing MediaGoblin:
Install MongoDB
Install a Custom app (listening on port) named 'mediagoblin'
Mount your MediaGoblin application on a domain with a website
Connect to your server with SSH
cd to your 'mediagoblin' application

cd ~/webapps/mediagoblin

Install the MediaGoblin core dependencies:

easy_install-2.7 lxml  
easy_install-2.7 virtualenv  
easy_install-2.7 flup

Download MediaGoblin

git clone git://gitorious.org/mediagoblin/mediagoblin.git ./

Copy the configuration files and add your settings:

cp paste.ini paste_local.ini
cp mediagoblin.ini mediagoblin_local.ini

Edit mediagoblin_local.ini to add the setting for your mongodb port from the Control panel

[mediagoblin]
db_port = <YOUR MONGODB PORT>

Edit paste_local.ini to add your MediaGoblin custom port from the control panel:

[server:main]  
port = <YOUR MEDIAGOBLIN PORT>

Create the virtualenv for mediagoblin

(virtualenv --system-site-packages . || virtualenv .) && ./bin/python setup.py develop

Start MediaGoblin

CELERY_ALWAYS_EAGER=true ./bin/paster serve paste_local.ini --reload

Visit your website at the domain you used in step 3

permanent link

answered 12 Feb '12, 10:16

timg ♦♦
1.3k4
accept rate: 30%

edited 14 Feb '12, 09:34

Just wanted to post an update since I've managed set up a test instance of Mediagoblin on Webfaction. timg got most of it right, and possibly all except that in the year and a half since, Mediagoblin's changed its requirements as well.

The main guide to follow is the official one for Deploying Mediagoblin.

The first thing you'll notice is that Mediagoblin no longer requires MongoDB, so only one Custom app (listening on port) is necessary. Do link it to a website though, since you'll need that later.

Next we need to install the required dependencies. Follow timg's instructions above:

cd ~/webapps/mediagoblin

Where mediagoblin is whatever you've named the new application. Then:

easy_install-2.7 lxml  
easy_install-2.7 virtualenv  
easy_install-2.7 flup

Then copy mediagoblin over:

git clone git://gitorious.org/mediagoblin/mediagoblin.git ./

Set up the virtual environment:

cd mediagoblin
(virtualenv --system-site-packages . || virtualenv .) && ./bin/python setup.py develop

Then copy over the config files:

cp paste.ini paste_local.ini
cp mediagoblin.ini mediagoblin_local.ini

Edit paste.local.ini:

[server:main]
port = <YOUR MEDIAGOBLIN PORT>

Now a mediagoblin instance should load up at the URL of the website that you've linked the application to when you run:

CELERY_ALWAYS_EAGER=true ./bin/paster serve paste_local.ini --reload

But you'll realize that you can't test it without creating a user account, and you can't verify an account with proper SMTP functionality.

At this point, we've moved into Configuring Mediagoblin. In addition to switching on email there, we also need to make some Webfaction-specific SMTP settings in mediagoblin.local.ini:

[mediagoblin]
email_smtp_use_ssl = true
email_sender_address = 'youremail@yourdomain.com'
email_smtp_host = 'smtp.webfaction.com'
email_smtp_port = 465
email_smtp_user = 'webfaction_mailbox_name'
email_smtp_pass = 'password_for_that_mailbox'

And lastly, to keep the process running in the background even after disconnecting from SSH, I use screen. So the launch command becomes:

CELERY_ALWAYS_EAGER=true screen ./bin/paster serve paste_local.ini --reload

To stop the process, find the processes that use screen (screen -ls) and find the number of the mediagoblin process. Then use to kill:

screen -X -S processnumber kill

That's it!

Notes on my setup so far:

• Although Webfaction has PostgreSQL support but I haven't figured out how to connect it since the Mediagoblin recommended install (i.e. the one with instructions) requires setting up a separate SSH account and all sorts of stuff I don't have root access on.
  • Mediagoblin recommends nginx, but as far as I can tell Webfaction already has that running behind the scenes already (see this answer.) If you want to know how to set up your own nginx, try here.
permanent link

answered 12 Jul '13, 10:03

hongkonggong

edited 26 Sep '13, 09:31

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×337
×55
×29
×9
×1

question asked: 09 Feb '12, 13:01

question was seen: 211,191 times

last updated: 16 Dec '13, 18:41

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM