WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello, I am not yet a WebFaction customer and would like to make some pre-sale questions about how to manage custom php applications.

Reading the documentation, I see that once created the application and mapped to a website, its content is available on the web. What about if I want the application core to be not reachable from the web root? If I create two applications (an unmapped private_app and a mapped public_app) will I be able to include inside php files of the public_app the core files from the private_app or the application are totally independent from each other? Is there a physical full path for inclusion starting from server root or we need to use the variable $HOME also inside our PHP scripts?

Thank you in advance and kind regards Roberto

EDIT: I have just read this in the documentation:

Symbolic link to static/cgi/php: If the software you want to use needs only a subset of its files exposed to the web, use a Symbolic link to static/cgi/php application. In the control panel installer, enter the absolute path to the directory you want to expose to the web in the extra_info field. Otherwise, it works just like a Static/CGI/PHP application.

I think this answers to my question, even if it is not clear if I have to upload all the files or create the directory structure before creating the symbolic link.

asked 26 Feb '12, 04:35

robertotra
accept rate: 0%

edited 26 Feb '12, 04:44

Hi,

Yes, this is possible if you create a Statc/CGI/PHP app for the whole app(including the core) and then creating a separate symlink to statc/cgi/php app for the public subdirectory.

You could also accomplish by setting the document root: http://docs.webfaction.com/software/php.html#id8

permanent link

answered 26 Feb '12, 04:44

neeravk
1.5k3412
accept rate: 41%

Now it is clear: before I create a normal PHP application and after uploading all files and structure then I create a symbolic link. Your link replies also to my second question: most recent servers have the full path to "/home/username/webapps/application/". Thanks

(26 Feb '12, 04:49) robertotra
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262
×57
×47

question asked: 26 Feb '12, 04:35

question was seen: 13,293 times

last updated: 26 Feb '12, 04:49

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM