WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'd like to redirect an external subdomain here but can't seem to get it right.

1. A client of mine has this domain named: www.whatever.com
  2. I made a web app that I am hosting with Webfaction and everything works fine on my side.
  3. I asked him to create the following subdomain manage.whatever.com and point it to ns1.webfaction.com so it links back to the web app.

I did the following In my control panel so that the redirection links correctly to the web app:

1. I previously created the Application and linked it to a Website
  2. I also created the domain www.whatever.com and added a subdomain that links back to my web app.

Now, when I type manage.whatever.com, the redirection to Webfaction works.

The IP address is correct when I ping it and I also see an OK page.

The only thing I can't seem to get right is linking it to my web app.

What am I forgetting here ?

thanks !

asked 26 Feb '12, 07:57

bchhun
accept rate: 0%

If it's the manage.whatever.com subdomain that you are going to be serving from our servers, then you don't need to point it to our nameservers, but just point it's A record to the IP address of your server. If you visit the domain and you get an OK message, then your client has probably set the A record to the IP address of ns1.webfaction.com, instead of the server.

If you plan to use other subdomains like sub1.manage.whatever.com or sub2.manage.whatever.com or another.sub1.manage.whatever.com then yes, you should point its NS records to us.

Either way, when that's done you should use a tool like dig, nslookup or online ones like just-dnslookup.com and make sure that manage.whatever.com resolves to the correct IP, the one of your server.

You can then add manage.whatever.com (no need to add whatever.com or www.whatever.com) in your domains list and then create a website entry, where you select manage.whatever.com from the subdomains list and set your application to be served from the / URL path (or whichever you wish).

If you've already done that and believe that they are correct but you still can't access it, then raise a support ticket and we'd be glad to take a look at your settings.

permanent link

answered 26 Feb '12, 09:00

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

Thanks ! I ALWAYS get confused with "A record" & DNSs :\

(26 Feb '12, 13:42) bchhun

Does this apply also to redirection between WebFaction machines? If I have 2 plans on different machines (or 2 dedicated servers) and my main domain on machine A, what should be done to have a subdomain of its on the other machine B ? Thanks.

(25 Mar '12, 04:34) robertotra

Yes, the above method applies, but only if your two plans on different machines are under the same WebFaction account. (Otherwise, you can open a support ticket to have the new subdomain added to your second account)

In a nutshell, a single website record maps a domain to an application on a single machine. But a separate subdomain is a separate entity, so you can map it to a separate website record on a separate machine without any conflicts.

If you experience any issues, just open a support ticket.

(25 Mar '12, 05:03) ryans ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×76
×7
×5

question asked: 26 Feb '12, 07:57

question was seen: 4,407 times

last updated: 25 Mar '12, 05:03

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM