WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello, I am not yet on WebFaction and I am browsing your documentation to check if it is the right choice for me. I have a question about how you do manage databases.

I have seen that you do not have separate data servers, but install database instances on the same server of the hosting plan. This is explained both in the control panel instructions ("Click to select a machine from the Machine drop-down. Typically, choose the machine where the application or script which will be using the database is.") and in the code examples (localhost or 127.0.0.1) or client screenshots (webNN.webfaction.com). You even give the opportunity to install custom version of MySQL or PHP in the home directory of the user, and therefore on the shared environment with other plans (http://community.webfaction.com/questions/3732/setting-up-mysql-into-the-home-directory).

While this is great for development and testing, I am not sure it is a good choice for production websites that rely upon service availability and continuity: even if the ram is physically separated, the stability of the whole server might be affected by heavy or unproper use of databases on the same machine or by custom installation of database servers.

I am terribly attracted by your hosting platform, but need to know if it is reliable also from a production point of view and not only for the great development options you offer.

Thanks in advance and kind regards Roberto

asked 26 Feb '12, 13:06

robertotra
accept rate: 0%

We use Cgroups on our newest machines, so this is rarely an issue.

When it does happen we have a series of real-time monitors that let us know there is a problem and we correct it, either by disabling the database or contacting the user, depending on what we need to do to keep the server online.

permanent link

answered 26 Feb '12, 17:23

johns ♦♦
5.3k212
accept rate: 23%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×97
×84
×5

question asked: 26 Feb '12, 13:06

question was seen: 2,135 times

last updated: 26 Feb '12, 17:23

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM