WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I’ve setup an own roundcube installation as app for the webmail service because the latency from europe to the mail servers in the US is huge (+4 seconds for a preview!) hoping it would load faster through the db-caching, but I don’t see any remarkable difference. Looking for performance tweaks the only thing I can see is to setup an imap proxy like imapproxy.org. Is that possible ? Other suggestions for my custom setup, especially for the imap configuration?

asked 27 Feb '12, 17:27

grell's gravatar image

grell
accept rate: 0%

Did you get imapproxy installed? Did you see a significant improvement in responsiveness? (I've done almost except the imapproxy on http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Howto_Config/Performance )

I'm in the same boat w.r.t. performance: I'm hosted in the EU and have my roundcube setup there, but the connection to the imap server(s) in the US is clearly delaying matters.

(26 Jan '14, 06:00) cpbotha cpbotha's gravatar image

The Roundcube performance documentation suggests using an IMAP proxy as you already suggested.

I don't have specific instructions for setting that up, but the general steps would be:

1. Create a 'custom app listening on port' application in the control panel to reserve a port number for your IMAP proxy server.

2. Build ImapProxy, using the source and instructions available here: imapproxy-nonroot

3. Configure the ImapProxy to connect to mail.webfaction.com and to listen on the port assigned to your custom application.

4. Configure your Roundcube installation to use 127.0.0.1 for the IMAP host and your assigned port for the IMAP port.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 27 Feb '12, 19:42

seanf's gravatar image

seanf
12.1k21635
accept rate: 37%

edited 22 Mar '16, 18:49

ok, I’ll try that out and post on it, thanks a lot seanf!

(28 Feb '12, 03:44) grell grell's gravatar image

Did you get imapproxy installed? Did you see a significant improvement in responsiveness? (I've done almost except the imapproxy on http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Howto_Config/Performance )

I'm in the same boat w.r.t. performance: I'm hosted in the EU and have my roundcube setup there, but the connection to the imap server(s) in the US is clearly delaying matters.

permanent link

answered 26 Jan '14, 05:59

cpbotha's gravatar image

cpbotha
accept rate: 0%

imapproxy won't run as is, because it assumes it is being launched as root, and then tries to change the process user and group to what you specify in the config. Since regular users aren't allowed to do that, it fails to run.

To work around that, I forked imapproxy over to Github and wrapped that part of the code in a condition that doesn't try to change the process user and group if it's already running as a non-root user. The repo and documentation are here: imapproxy-nonroot

Hope that helps!

(18 Mar '16, 23:06) seanf seanf's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×46
×26
×13

question asked: 27 Feb '12, 17:27

question was seen: 4,979 times

last updated: 22 Mar '16, 18:49

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM