WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

My custom application only allows the specification of a SMTP server. (No logging in) Can i send email from it on your servers?

Many thanks,

Christopher

asked 02 Mar '12, 02:18

chris2fr
accept rate: 0%

Hi,

No, our SMTP server absolutely requires authentication. Please check if your application allows sending via "sendmail" instead - it doesn't require authentication, and is also supported on our web servers.

permanent link

answered 02 Mar '12, 03:11

todork
1.2k4
accept rate: 34%

My Sendmail isn't working. At least I don't get any emails. The front-end isn't showing any errors. When I send email by a form it says the mail is sent successfully.

I see I can specify a Sendmail path in the back-end configuration. The tooltip of the field is showing: This is the path to the sendmail program directory on the host server.

Do I need to specify this or can I leave it blank?

Please help.

Gr. Alex

permanent link

answered 27 Feb '13, 08:40

Alex Albers

edited 27 Feb '13, 08:47

@Alex It's hard for us to tell what's going on in your situation without seeing specific details. Would you mind opening a support ticket for this?

(27 Feb '13, 19:15) seanf

Hi Senf,

No need, a colleague of my fixed it already. It was indeed the field I mentioned before that needed to get filled out. The sendmail path in my back-end configuration was empty. Since I'm not a technician and my colleague was unavailable I searched this forum. I found out in this post that mail via SMPT was not an option anymore. This is what was configured before on the old server. I switched to sendmail but as I already mentioned in the first post, it was not working.

My colleague tried the common settings of sendmail by filling out the default folder path of such a service. The path was: /usr/bin/sendmail

After this, mail was working again :-)

Gr. Alex

permanent link

answered 28 Feb '13, 03:24

Alex Albers

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×47
×41

question asked: 02 Mar '12, 02:18

question was seen: 2,553 times

last updated: 28 Feb '13, 03:24

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM