WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi experts,

Our site is up and running. But, when we put the site URL in facebook status page, the title and description are that of webfaction's "coming soon" page.

Is there any reason why this is happening? Have I missed any important configuration?

Thanks.

asked 02 Mar '12, 11:21

Krishna's gravatar image

Krishna
accept rate: 0%

I just tried adding a link to your site using my own Facebook account, while simultaneously watching your site access logs. When Facebook pulled in the page, I didn't see any activity in your logs, and I got the "coming soon" page as you've reported.

I think that you probably tried adding the link to your site at some point before your site was fully configured on WebFaction, and now Facebook has the "coming soon" page cached on their side (they cache stuff so that they don't generate a ton of outgoing requests for the same link).

The problem should go away on its on in a day or two, maybe less. I'm not really sure how long they cache link titles and descriptions on their side.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 02 Mar '12, 11:35

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
11.8k21333
accept rate: 37%

thank you seanf. After checking your answer, and a quick googling on how to flush cache for facebook, I encountered this site (https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug) which is used for debug, but as a side effect, also updates cache on FB.

Now it seems to be working fine.

(02 Mar '12, 11:44) Krishna Krishna's gravatar image

Great, glad I could help!

(02 Mar '12, 11:47) seanf ♦♦ seanf's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×111
×4

question asked: 02 Mar '12, 11:21

question was seen: 1,839 times

last updated: 02 Mar '12, 11:47

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM