WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I am new on WebFaction and I would like to share my first simple issues, that might be helpful to other new joiners as me.

As you already know, in order to offer the maximum flexibility, Webfaction organizes web data into three categories: domains, applications, websites. This is great because in this way you can host different domains on the same account and different applications on each domain. The domains are the domain names you already own, the applications are the physical folders on your account where are located your web applications and pages, the websites are records to associate a single application to one or more domains.

When you create an account on WebFaction, it creates a default application for you and associates it to a default subdomain of yours: username.webfactional.com. This is ok: you can use it as a testing environment physically separated from your production website. If you opened the account without a domain name of yours, you can then add it in the control panel and create a new application and a new website to serve it, and this is maybe the best and simplest way to operate. But if you created the account adding also your own domain name, you will find that the default application created will serve not only your subdomain on webfactional.com but also your domain name (both with and without www, so three domains in total). Technically there's nothing to argue with it, but I think this configuration is not good for marketing purposes, for two reasons: the former, you will have duplicate content across different domains and this may affect your Google listing; the latter, your brand name will be split and not strongly typed with your domain only.

You may think it will be enough to create a new application folder that will serve a new website record and associate your existing domain name to it. Well, it's not: if you try it, you will receive an error message telling your domain is (actually your domains - with and without www - are) already linked by another website record. So, you need first to unlink the domains from the default website, but this is not immediately intuitive, because there's not an option to explicitly unlink them, you have to do it in a negative way, that is to link again (by selecting it in the edit website page) to the default website only the subdomain on webfactional.com. In this way your domains will remain unlinked and therefore available for a new association with another website record.

Now, we can finally say: that's it. Nothing transcendental, but you need to enter the WebFactional way of thinking, that in same cases might differ a bit from intuitively yours.

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 07 Mar '12, 03:09

robertotra
accept rate: 0%

edited 07 Mar '12, 05:24

If I may suggest a more intuitive solution for linking/unlinking domains to/from a website, I would replace the multi-option select list of subdomains with a simple text list of subdomains, each of them with an adjacent [X] icon that would unlink that domain (with a confirmation alert) and at the bottom a button "Add [sub]domains", that would open a dialog window listing the domains not already linked (if any)

(07 Mar '12, 03:43) robertotra

Thanks for the suggestion! We are already in the process of releasing a new website management interface that would be even flexier and intuitive then the current one.

(07 Mar '12, 05:33) iliasr ♦♦
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×128
×57
×37

question asked: 07 Mar '12, 03:09

question was seen: 3,359 times

last updated: 07 Mar '12, 05:33

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM