WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

how can I install gitolite on Webfaction?

I'm aware of this and this, but there is no complete response (I'm not sure whether I must create an application for instance).

Anybody could help?

Thanks

asked 07 Mar '12, 11:29

jul
accept rate: 0%

I have installed gitolite on a test account and here are the steps.

Gitolite basically works by 'taking over' a spare SSH user. Because of this it does not need a 'custom app' because nothing is going to be routed over HTTP, only SSH. Since you do not have root access on our system you will be following the 'non-root' install procedure outlined in this tutorial.

For step 1 you will add an additional SSH user to the account. This user will act as the host for the gitolite installation. In the tutorial this user is called 'gitolite'.

For step 2 and 7 of the install you will be generating a series of SSH keys. Our documentation on how to do this is here.

The command in step 3 would look like this,

scp ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub gitolite@webXXX.webfaction.com:thekey.pub

Where webXXX is your server's real number and thekey.pub is the name of the key file you generated in step 2. You can also use any domain in place of webXXX.webfaction.com that is pointing to your server.

The commands in step 4 are ran exactly as they are described in the tutorial. You will be logging in as the additional user created in step 1. If you are not sure how to connect with SSH to run the commands this documentation will outlined it.

Step 5 is mostly the same rules as step 4, just remember to rename the key 'sena.pub' to whatever the name of the key file you created in step 2 and transferred to the server in step 3.

Step 6 are commands you execute on your local PC. The command would look something like this,

$ git clone gitolite@webXXX.webfaction.com:gitolite-admin

Where 'gitolite' is your additional SSH username and 'webXXX.webfaction.com' has the real server number in place of XXX or is a domain pointing to the server.

Step 7 is performed on your local PC as outlined.

And that should be it. You do not need to install git as an application on your primary account, as the above installation sets up the git server in the home directory of the secondary user.

permanent link

answered 08 Mar '12, 02:45

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

edited 08 Mar '12, 03:01

Perfect. Thanks a lot johns.

(08 Mar '12, 05:37) jul
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×9

question asked: 07 Mar '12, 11:29

question was seen: 2,727 times

last updated: 08 Mar '12, 05:37

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM