WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a Python web application which us a ZODB database. I also have a few scripts which need to connect sometime to this same database.

The default and simplest way to deploy a ZODB database is via the FileStorage module, which doesn't require a "database server" to run, but allow only one Python process to connect to it (a bit the same as SQLite).

If I want several processes to access my ZODB database, I need to serve it through the ZEO server, which is a bit more sophisticated but require a daemon process to run and an IP address and a TCP port to listen on.

I can create a custom app in the Webfaction panel, but it seems there are for HTTP application only. I also wonder about authentication, since I think (though I'm not sure), that the server doesn't require any authentication, and that any users on the same machine as me will be able to connect via TCP on my ZEO server.

Any thoughts on how to deploy this?

asked 08 Mar '12, 04:02

multani
accept rate: 0%

edited 08 Mar '12, 04:55

Hi,

You should create a custom app (listening on port) if only to reserve the port, and it won't get used by another customer on the same server. This port is only open for local connections by default, although in your case you shouldn't need to connect remotely anyway.

You don't need to assign this custom app to a site, since you wouldn't really be using it to generate HTTP responses. You can then install and run the ZEO server from your user space and configure it to listen on the port assigned to that app.

According to the ZEO Server Howto, ZEO supports authentication, so you should be able to set this up as well. If you run into any troubles setting this up, please open a support ticket.

permanent link

answered 08 Mar '12, 07:15

todork
1.2k5
accept rate: 34%

Actually, it turns out that ZEO can listen on an Unix socket, which solves th problem of the port and the authentication at the same time - you just need to specify the address setting with something containing a /, said the documentation.

(16 Mar '12, 01:45) multani
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×337
×84
×21
×3
×3

question asked: 08 Mar '12, 04:02

question was seen: 3,373 times

last updated: 16 Mar '12, 01:45

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM