WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a custom application, it's a Ruby Sinatra app. It sits behind nginx and Thin.

I attempted to install Redmine out of the box. However Redmine gives me a 500 Internal Server error.

Should I have the one instance of nginx serving all my apps, or is it more appropriate to have an instance per application?

How can I resolve the Redmine 500 error?

asked 09 Mar '12, 22:09

tojofo
accept rate: 0%

I just checked your account and as far as I can tell, your Redmine app isn't attached to any websites at the moment. Can you please open a support ticket and let us know the exact URL that is exhibiting the 500 error?

(10 Mar '12, 16:30) seanf

It's generally appropriate to have one Nginx instance for each application, unless you have several applications which use similar Nginx settings and you would like to save ram by serving multiple applications from a single instance.

During testing and development, you generally want a separate Nginx instance.

As for the 500 error, this could be caused by one of any number of reasons, which is manifesting itself as an internal error in your application. You can check the Nginx and application error logs for the specific error which is occurring. by default, our installers put your logs in the ~/logs/user directory for independent applications and ~/logs/frontend for applications served by the front-end Apache server, such as PHP applications.

permanent link

answered 09 Mar '12, 23:56

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93460
accept rate: 43%

All logs are empty except for the Redmine nginx log which has a lot of errors along the form of

2012/03/09 23:09:01 [emerg] 4661#0: bind() to 0.0.0.0:30208 failed (98: Address already in use)

(10 Mar '12, 15:45) tojofo
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×186
×46

question asked: 09 Mar '12, 22:09

question was seen: 3,872 times

last updated: 10 Mar '12, 16:30

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM