WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Looking for some ideas on receiving email in a webapp... I'd like to setup a blog of sorts similar to posterous in that I could send an email to my domain and have it automagically create a blog post. Some thoughts I've had so far:

• Use some procmail magic to redirect emails to someplace watched by the blog software
  • I suppose I could have my blog software check the appropriate imap account for new messages

Is anyone else doing anything like this on webfaction? Something else that I've overlooked that might be easier?

Thanks!

asked 26 Nov '10, 08:17

karrotstick
accept rate: 0%

I would probably use mail2script for that. Write a script that parses an email passed to stdin and posts it via whatever API your blogging software provides, and hook that up to an address. It will run every time the address receives a message, so your posts will be instant and you won't need to muck around with cron jobs.

permanent link

answered 26 Nov '10, 10:32

seanf
12.2k31836
accept rate: 37%

Awesome - this looks like it will work exactly like I need. Thanks!

(26 Nov '10, 15:41) karrotstick

I would create a mailbox specifically for your blog. Write a script that checks that mailbox for new mail. Any mail sent from your email address will be processed and added as a blog post. The script would then delete any mail it has received. You could schedule the script to run periodically using cron.

permanent link

answered 26 Nov '10, 08:29

aaronh ♦♦
1.3k3
accept rate: 34%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×259

question asked: 26 Nov '10, 08:17

question was seen: 3,023 times

last updated: 26 Nov '10, 15:41

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM