WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have hosted a wordpress site on my plan for a few years with no slowness troubles. Recently I'm noticing some issues that seem network-related: the Akismet plugin reports timeouts talking to their servers; plugin updates are no longer detected; and the interface is slow.

I just installed a second WP blog and it is annoyingly slow as well and having similar troubles. I cannot link it to the JetPack plugin and wordpress.com because that times out. Initially I was unable to install plugins at all because connections to the wordpress servers timed out. I found out from some posts online how to increase the timeout from 15 to 60 seconds, so I was able to install them. I only installed 2 minor ones though, as it was slow.

Still, the new site in particular is slow, both for admin and viewing. I'm looking for any ideas or similar behavior seen by anyone else. Any ideas, either for admin interface slowness or recent problems with WP having trouble connecting to external services?

Also FYI this is Wordpress 3.3.1. The new one in particular is a quite clean install with nothing fancy happening.

thanks, Carl

asked 14 Mar '12, 22:10

Carl
accept rate: 0%

Hi,

Can you try upgrading to PHP 5.3? You can do that by following these instructions:

1. Add the following at the start of ~/webapps/<your-wordpress-app>/.htaccess:

Action php53-cgi /php53.cgi
    AddHandler php53-cgi .php

2. Connect with SSH and cd to your wordpress application. Then use this command:
    ln -s /home/php-cgi/php53.cgi php53.cgi

permanent link

answered 14 Mar '12, 22:21

neeravk
1.5k3412
accept rate: 41%

neeravk, I am seriously impressed and very grateful. That answer was spot on. The site is 100x faster, both admin and the blog pages. Also the link to wordpress.com instantly went through.

Thank you! Carl

(14 Mar '12, 22:29) Carl

My Wordpress instance running on PHP 5.4 is very slow as well. Any ideas/updates?

permanent link

answered 26 Sep '13, 12:20

mlb5000
accept rate: 0%

I recommend that you open a support ticket so that we can look into this for you.

(26 Sep '13, 13:28) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×18
×7
×2

question asked: 14 Mar '12, 22:10

question was seen: 6,934 times

last updated: 26 Sep '13, 13:28

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM