I'm using the PyCharm IDE from JetBrains for Django development (on Windows), and I've just spent a few days failing to hook up either SVN or Git from PyCharm to my Webfaction site. I've taken what I can from the WebFaction and PyCharm docs, but for the life of me I just cannot pull them together.

Is there any kind soul out there who may have trodden this path already and is willing to share their recipe?

Thanks in advance, Jaffa

asked 16 Mar '12, 07:39

Jaffa%20McNeill's gravatar image

Jaffa McNeill
accept rate: 50%

Can you please update your question to include details for the steps that you have taken and the problems or errors that you are seeing?

(16 Mar '12, 11:06) seanf ♦♦ seanf's gravatar image

Thanks Sean, I've spent three days setting, unsetting and changing every option I can find to no avail, and I was hoping that someone who is successfully using PyCharm/ Win7 /VCS /Webfaction could simply share their secret. From the forums on JetBrains and Webfaction I rather suspect I'm front-running on this, which as someone who codes on top of a full time job and family, is something I try very hard to avoid.

Would you recommend Subversion or Git? If so, I can try again and list the steps I've gone through.

(17 Mar '12, 04:26) Jaffa McNeill Jaffa%20McNeill's gravatar image

Hi, You might want to look at this post on SVN vs Git.

(17 Mar '12, 04:42) todork todork's gravatar image

I've decided to go for Git, since that seems a little more future proof.

I've tried to come up with a solution via a mashup of the Webfaction (WF) help pages http://docs.webfaction.com/software/git.html?highlight=git#git

and Github's (GH) Set Up Git http://help.github.com/win-set-up-git/

From WF I have followed - Installing the Git Web Application - Creating a New Repository

From GH: - Installing Git for Windows and - using Git Bash to create SSH keys

then WF http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/access.html?highlight=ssh#using-ssh-keys for the Windows version of "Deploy the key to your WebFaction account".

In Win Git Bash: ssh -T username@username.webfactional.com to add to Git known hosts.

From WF: Add a User

In PyCharm: add the project to Git control (uses Windows Git).

In Win GitGUI, open up the project folder, which shows files ready to commit.

In Win GitGUI define a remote using username@username.webfactional.com:webapps/app/repos/proj.git

Now, I thought, push to remote. GitGUI shows an empty list of branches, nothing to push!

Damn, need to learn something about sodding branches.

(23 Mar '12, 15:15) Jaffa McNeill Jaffa%20McNeill's gravatar image

I am not sure about GitGUI, normally from command line you would need to init the repo locally and define you were pushing to origin master. A good 3rd party tutorial may be found here,

(23 Mar '12, 17:37) johns ♦♦ johns's gravatar image

I was almost there!

Check out the comments above, all I was missing is committing from PyCharm. Once I did that I could push up to WebFaction, and retrieved them using the same steps on another W7 machine.

I use PUTTY to clone the repository into my django project folder on Webfaction, all sorted too.

link

answered 25 Mar '12, 13:29

Jaffa%20McNeill's gravatar image

Jaffa McNeill
accept rate: 50%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×743
×91
×37
×18
×2

Asked: 16 Mar '12, 07:39

Seen: 1,530 times

Last updated: 25 Mar '12, 13:29

Plans & prices    Sign up    Why WebFaction?    Contact us    Affiliate program    Support    Legal    Jobs    Blog    Control panel login