WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi.

I know that WF is a great hoster, but do I have to be concerned for my online data for the cases of system/disks crash? I'm not a paranoid, but it will be a great deal if I lost the content of my databases.

So, the question is: How often do you guys perform backups, and should I do my own backups too?

asked 27 Nov '10, 11:12

eden
accept rate: 0%

WebFaction performs daily backups of all your data and stores those backups for ten days. Backing up your data on your own is also a good idea. It ensures that your data exists in multiple places.

permanent link

answered 27 Nov '10, 11:21

aaronh ♦♦
1.3k3
accept rate: 34%

Thanks aaronh for quick reply. It's good to feel safe with WF.

(27 Nov '10, 11:22) eden

How about a backup utility from the panel to the user's own S3 account ?

permanent link

answered 30 Nov '10, 05:03

anjanesh
accept rate: 16%

This would be very tricky to implement correctly. For starters we'd have to keep some S3 credentials around for your account, which is something we'd rather not do.

Aside from this there are other issues such as:

• We'd have no way of verifying backups, so you'd be completely on your own with them
  • If, for some reason, our backups went wrong and we accidentally upload a few terabytes into your account while you're not paying attention, you'd be left with a rather nasty bill.

Never say never, but I very seriously doubt that we'd ever implement this.

(30 Nov '10, 05:18) David L ♦♦

I don't suppose there is any way to access our backed up data? That would be very handy if you were carelessly editing a file or something and clobbered it / wanted to rewind (just the file) to yesterday :D

Just out of curiosity. Can users request rewinds for any reason?

permanent link

answered 04 Sep '11, 16:56

Mick
accept rate: 0%

We don't offer live access to backups at this time - if you need something pulled from a backup, you'll need to log into the control panel and open a support ticket to request it.

If you want to be able to quickly "rewind" changes you've made, then our recommendation is that you store your work in a VCS like git or subversion.

Hope that helps!

(04 Sep '11, 17:01) seanf

Thanks for the feedback. Value added.

(07 Sep '11, 16:26) Mick
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×36

question asked: 27 Nov '10, 11:12

question was seen: 4,226 times

last updated: 07 Sep '11, 16:26

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM