WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am looking to change platforms on a friends website. It was setup using Django and that person is now gone so he is a bit lost. Someone suggested Wordpress to him which he does have some knowledge of and he looked to me for help beings I have done sites with Wordpress. Everything I see is WP to Django and not the other way around. I understand the difference between the two platforms but am wondering if there is a way to save the content and move it to the new WP site. I don't want to integrate them as that would be a nightmare for him to maintain. We want a new fresh WP site with all the current content from the old one. Is it possible? If so, how? Thank you for your help and assistance.

asked 19 Mar '12, 19:16

Rick DLewis
accept rate: 0%

I am not aware of any solutions which move a Django site to Wordpress. It's certainly not possible to do so "in general", because Django can provide much more functionality than Wordpress does out-of-the-box. In the special case when the site is entirely a static entity, you can make a separate Wordpress page for each of the URLs in your urls.py and then paste the HTML into the WP admin editor for that page.

(19 Mar '12, 23:46) ryans ♦♦

The first step would be to have a look at the wordpress database schema. You can probably map fields of your django app to fields in the wordpress db. The next step would then be to write a python script that reads the data from the django app and inserts it into wordpress db. Try using python with an adecuate orm or even django's own orm.

Depending on the amount of data it may be worth the effort.

permanent link

answered 20 Mar '12, 08:46

markusbarth
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×901
×242
×40

question asked: 19 Mar '12, 19:16

question was seen: 4,348 times

last updated: 20 Mar '12, 08:46

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM