WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I would like to post a couple of questions about mysql server limits:

a) database limit
we all know that mysql can handle large quantities of data. On mysql documentation is written that:

Scalability and Limits: Support for large databases. We use MySQL Server with databases that contain 50 million records. We also know of users who use MySQL Server with 200,000 tables and about 5,000,000,000 rows.

but these amounts of data are about the whole mysql server installation on a dedicated machine. I doubt these limits can be reached on a localhost server in a shared hosting environment. So my question is: are there any available statistics about the status of the whole database server on our machine not limited to only our account? That is: how many databases, tables, records in total? That will give us also some information of the data largeness we can manage within our applications (or if it has come the time to move to a dedicated machine).

b) table limit
the mysql documentation says about the "Table full" error:

If a table-full error occurs, it may be that the disk is full or that the table has reached its maximum size. The effective maximum table size for MySQL databases is usually determined by operating system constraints on file sizes, not by MySQL internal limits.

Did you set such a limit? Which is the mysql file limit (and, in consequence, for a mysql table)?

Thank you in advance for your reply and best regards Roberto

asked 24 Mar '12, 03:03

robertotra
accept rate: 0%

We don't set a specific Table size limit, and for privacy reasons we don't provide statistics for the database size of databases owned by other users on your machine.

That said, the next step if you are worried that you're running into shared server limits is to start using a local MySQL installation instead of the server-wide shared MySQL. This way, database usage from other users on the machine won't have any effect on your usage, and you can also set the limits (including connection limits) to anything you want.

You only need to migrate to a dedicated server if you need additional performance. Cgroups on CentOS 6 machines ensures that your MySQL process cannot over-utilize resources while at the same time providing for full capacity utilization on the server.

permanent link

answered 24 Mar '12, 04:07

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93460
accept rate: 43%

Thanks for your clarity, that fully replies to my questions. Just would like to specify that I was talking about anonymous statistics, just about the total size used and not specifically by each user and that I appreciate WebFaction privacy policy.

(24 Mar '12, 07:56) robertotra

Sorry, I have another question about this subject: if I install a custom instance of mysql into my home directory I have root privileges on it. But in case I move to a dedicated server, what access I have on the server-wide mysql ? Root or my primary user? In the last case, do the same rules for creating databases in the shared environment apply? That is: limit of 16 characters for database names, one user per database created with the same name and his own password... In such a case, to have root access and/or manage all databases within a single db account (i.e. mysqlcheck --all-databases) it would be necessary to install a custom instance of mysql also on dedicated server? Thank you in advance for your reply.

(26 Mar '12, 06:38) robertotra

Yes, the managed dedicated server has the same limitation as the shared server with regards to MySQL.

You would need a private MySQL for root access there too.

(26 Mar '12, 06:54) neeravk
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×168
×84
×14
×2

question asked: 24 Mar '12, 03:03

question was seen: 6,675 times

last updated: 26 Mar '12, 06:54

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM