WebFaction
Community site: login faq

New customer. I found instructions to SFTP into my server. But I can't figure out how to SFTP into a given domain on my server. Can anyone help?

Also, my domains are being hosted by my previous web host company. They're all simple html sites, and I intend to FTP the files to webfaction, then have my domain registrar switch the nameservers, then cancel the other web hosting account. That was the 1996 way to do it; I won't hit any snags doing it this way, now, will I?

asked 24 Mar '12, 10:42

Jiml
accept rate: 0%

Ok, I've uploaded all files. Is there any way to preview to make sure it works ok before I switch the nameserver? E.g. a numerical domain I can steer my browser to?

(24 Mar '12, 17:17) Jiml

You can't use the IP address directly to see the site. You can use this guide from our migration docs to create local DNS overrides and test the site.

(24 Mar '12, 18:29) johns

Your method for switching your sites over will work just fine. Before you FTP your files to WebFaction, create a separate Static/CGI/PHP application for each site. Doing so will create the directory /home/your_username/webapps/name_of_app. That directory is where you will upload the files for each site.

I hope this helps!

permanent link

answered 24 Mar '12, 10:54

maryh
1.3k7
accept rate: 35%

Thanks very much!

(24 Mar '12, 11:22) Jiml

What about the FTP question?

(30 Mar '12, 01:42) Dean

Since the setup looks simple, where each app will serve one domain, then uploading his files in each /home/your_username/webapps/name_of_app directory will do.

(30 Mar '12, 02:34) iliasr ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×31

question asked: 24 Mar '12, 10:42

question was seen: 2,660 times

last updated: 30 Mar '12, 02:34

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM