WebFaction
Community site: login faq

First of all, I have to say how amazing happy I am with webfaction's performance and service. I recommend you to all of my friends.

I am trying to make my standard Wordpress install as zippy as possible, for google, users, and nerdy fun. I started out with w3tc and basic/enhanced disk caching.

My next step was to utilize cloudflare, which seems to have some very real performance benenfits.

I was trying to do some tuning (which involved some 404'd images adding 3 seconds to full page load) and I recently set up memcached (utilizing on instance with just about all of w3tc caching options). I also set up most of my images to serve through the shared-static-nginx.

I disabled cloudflares minifying and I am using w3tc to minify and pack html, css, js along with cloudflare's rocketloader to load everything.

I've been using webpagetest.com to do some testing, but there are multitude of options to test.

A few notes... Initial page load takes 2.6 seconds to render and 4.9 seconds for full page load.

There are a few code oriented changes I can make, but that will be messy, so at this point, I am focusing on big changes.

I used wpengines speed test tool (http://speed.wpengine.com/) which utilizes the webpagetest engine, and they said they could speed my site up by 1% according to their average load speed. However, this is pretty light site, so I think I can do better than that.

The site is rather small, and due to my other duties, more static than I would like.

Sorry about length... ;( I have one question below, but overall, I want to know if my methods are sound, and what I might be able to do to speed it up some more. Or, maybe I am just crazy and I should be happy where I am at. I am at your mercy.

memcached never seems to go above about 40mb in memory, so utilizing it for all of my caching needs isn't a problem, but does anyone have any experience using a shared-static-nginx to serve up cached pages?

asked 10 Apr '12, 16:54

stoolio
accept rate: 0%

Have you tried using FastCGI? FastCGI are long-living processes which handle requests as they come, by default our setup uses CGI or mod_php which spawns processes for serving requests as they come.

So, each request carries with it the cost of spawning a new PHP process and destroying it when it finishes.

FastCGI though utilizing more memory(on an average) is thus significantly faster.

You can enable it by following: http://docs.webfaction.com/software/php.html#using-fastcgi

permanent link

answered 11 Apr '12, 03:55

neeravk
1.5k3412
accept rate: 41%

I will try this out and check out the results with webpagetest and load impact. Since I'm using the shared instances of both nginx and Apache and there is only one website on this account I have loads of memory.

Thanks for the tip, I am learning new things everyday.

And, because your smart...could there be any cons to using memcached for page, minify, dbase, and object caching?

I think I will also test with serving cached pages etc. with nginx and see what happens.

I guess my goal (dream?) would be to get performance akin to http://octopress.org/

I see other options as a squid/varnish server, and possibly opcode caching, but it seems both of these would involve setting up my own custom stack. This might allow further tweaking of settings, but I would imagine the shared instances are already tweaked and speedy. They don't seem like the trouble would be worth it.

What I might try is using an additional CDN, probably MaxCDN. For 30 bucks with coupon you get a terabyte of transfer good for a year.

After I implement, test, repeat I might write up a tutorial of sorts on optimizing WordPress on Web faction to give back in some way. I've gotten so much great information here, and I really appreciate it.

(14 Apr '12, 17:36) stoolio

Q: could there be any cons to using memcached for page, minify, dbase, and object caching?

A: Not really once they are all set up, they can be complicated to set up but once they are there should be little issues.

(14 Apr '12, 17:48) johns

Hi,

Just wondering how is the result of using fastCGI and nginx (to serve static content) going?

(07 Jun '13, 23:08) shsu
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×244
×34
×6

question asked: 10 Apr '12, 16:54

question was seen: 4,952 times

last updated: 07 Jun '13, 23:51

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM