WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have followed most of your instructions and I have setup a django app (askbot) in webfaction. It's actually 3 apps, one is the production environment and the other two are for development/testing purposes.

I now want to configure memcached. I read your instructions here and here and I have questions coz I m new in python and django (note, I'm in the plan with the 256MB allowed memory) :

1. At command memcached -d -m memory -s ~/memcached.sock how much memory should I set?
  2. Do I have to download anything from the refered link, or I just run PYTHONPATH=$HOME/webapps/django_app/lib/python2.7/ easy_install-2.7 --install-dir=$HOME/webapps/django_app/lib/python2.7/ --script-dir=$HOME/webapps/django_app/bin/ python-memcached ?
  3. How can be sure that memcached is set up and works properly?
  4. Is it better to configure memcached for all my 3 sites?.

So few commands and so many questions :) Please assist, thank you!

asked 24 Apr '12, 16:27

zafm
accept rate: 0%

1. As much as you think you will need, it depends on your application usage. Use these commands to see your current usage, replace 'user' with your account username. the first is a total of memory in MBs the second the list of processes with bytes.

ps -u user -o rss,command | grep -v peruser | awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum/1024}'

ps -u user -o rss,command

2. No, you do not have to download python-memcached, easy_install does it for you.

3. Check the memory usage, it will be higher if memcached is running and should show in your process list.

4. If the sites have many database requests than yes, if not it is extra work that may not be needed.

permanent link

answered 24 Apr '12, 19:25

johns ♦♦
5.2k211
accept rate: 22%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×900
×84
×34
×28
×17

question asked: 24 Apr '12, 16:27

question was seen: 5,935 times

last updated: 24 Apr '12, 19:25

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM