WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am trying to configure webfaction to run a second app in a subdirectory, like so:

/ -> djangoapp

/nodeapp -> nodeapp

but the /nodeapp is not routing as I expected.

When the django app is running it intercepts the rout and issues a 404. When I stop apache I get a 500 error.

the node app is configured as a custom app (listening to port)

I have started the node server on the correct port assigned to the app. I can confirm that it is working by running

lynx localhost:$PORT

But I have not found any way to access the address externally

The node app is listening on http://0.0.0.0:$PORT

Any ideas what I an doing wrong?

asked 27 Apr '12, 15:08

jisaacstone
accept rate: 0%

Most ports are blocked externally on our server via our firewall. Generally, a custom application is configured to redirect traffic to your domain to the application which it is assigned to, and in this case the Custom Application (listening on port) application would deliver all of the traffic to your node application. This is routing is explained here. The most common issue related is that the website record is configured incorrectly (for example, an application being mounted to the website record on the wrong URL path).

However, in some other cases (such as websockets) you do want a direct connection to the port externally rather than going through the front-end Nginx server on port 80. In these cases, we can provide a free IP address on your server which is used for open ports - just open a ticket and ask for an open-ports IP address, and tell us which port(s) you need open. Note that you will need a custom application (listening on port) for each opened port, and this "open ports" IP address will be shared with other users on the machine who also have other ports open.

permanent link

answered 27 Apr '12, 20:23

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×97
×67
×54
×47

question asked: 27 Apr '12, 15:08

question was seen: 4,313 times

last updated: 27 Apr '12, 20:23

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM