WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a set of xml files that are to be read by a flash file externally. In my django app on webfaction I generate these xml files and a set of images, that the external flash objects read (not from another domain, being run on a client machine with a flash player ie. no cross-domain policy issue).

I am serving the xml and image files in my static media webapp, but it seems that I cannot access these files externally due to their permissions. I need public read access on these xml and image directories. The webfaction documentation says to use setfacl, but only talks about doing so for specific users. I did not find the setting for public access, however maybe there is a more standard method for allowing read access to media in a webapp in general? (thanks for your advice -newbie)

asked 02 Dec '10, 10:59

H_n8
accept rate: 0%

Have you added your static media app to your site at https://panel.webfaction.com/site/list ?

(02 Dec '10, 12:10) seanf

Yes, I created a static media app (static only no .htaccess) and added it, it's working fine for hosting my media for the django app. What I need is to host media for public access, as in to have a directory with an xml file that can be accessed by url externally. Would it make sense to create another static media app STATIC/CGI/PHP to host media that is able to be accessed publicly?

(02 Dec '10, 14:18) H_n8

You can use either a static-only app or a static/cgi/php app to serve your files. As long as you add the app to a site, then it should be publicly accessible. If you've added the app to a site and it's not working for some reason, feel free to open a support ticket and we'll take a closer look at your setup.

permanent link

answered 02 Dec '10, 14:22

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Ok, typical, a little problem with an extra backslash so it returned a 404, fixed it and now it works...ugh. Thanks for response, I was sure that it was a permissions problem, but your input got me to doubt my code, which probably i should do more often. Cheers!

(02 Dec '10, 15:37) H_n8
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×26
×12
×8
×1

question asked: 02 Dec '10, 10:59

question was seen: 2,090 times

last updated: 02 Dec '10, 15:37

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM