WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

Appreciating that Webfaction specializes in Python and MODx uses PHP but has anyone experience getting MODx Revolution working? MODx Revo is very good.

There is a strange problem whereby a Revo installation appears to work but goes sadly wrong with Package Management. A previous forum question never got to the bottom of the actual problem but simply suggested installing a PHPStack. Not being a computer scientist or Lynux expert this appeared daunting but was actually easy. There is a nice build procedure. Great.

But. I've moved my site from US to Amsterdam servers and decided to upgrade to 6-64. Instructions suggest that Django binaries (at least) would need to be updated. Did that. Worked well.

But my MODx installation is a complete mess. Too many problems to list and lots of Support emails all weekend but no joy. Latest suggestion is to "modify the script to fetch and build the 64 bit version of the library or modify the script to not include that library".

Can't cope with that.

Is Christopher Sebastian around? Maybe he could help (he wrote the original script - build_php_worker538.2.sh)

OR should I give up and go to a Centos5-32 bit server in Amsterdam - maybe there is no significant advantage in going 64 bit?

I've just persuaded another customer to sign up to webfaction for a MODx site with hopefully more to come. I need to know webfaction isn't a dead end should 32 bit servers stop being available.

Stuart

asked 30 Apr '12, 13:21

Parthian
accept rate: 0%

Just noticed this on a tagged centos6 post. "CentOS 6 is the newest operating system we are offering as such it has the latest updates and packages like MySQL 5.5 and Postgres 9.1."

I like the idea of P9.1, for use with GeoDjango and PostGIS. So, one good reason to persevere.

(30 Apr '12, 13:28) Parthian

Chris is no longer around, however we are happy to help you with the next few steps.

I wrote that reply, doing something about that library is the next logical step since what is being fetched in that script is a 32 bit binary and that just wont work.

There should be no reason to migrate to a 32 bit platform, Apache and the other tools can be built from source step by step without the script, and that is good since than you know what is actually being built. We are happy to explain the process to you if needed if you reply to the ticket and let us know.

permanent link

answered 30 Apr '12, 17:43

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Ok John, getting frustrated as I was given a new script to handle the 32bit to 64bit issue but it appears to actually be 32bit only, (build_php_worker538.2.sh) wasting a lot of everyone's time.

Ideally, this script would be updated as a result of this process.

(01 May '12, 02:25) Parthian

Does the initial issue about the package management not working, still remain with our default Static/CGI/PHP apps on the new server?

If no, then you can just use them instead of the stack.

(01 May '12, 02:39) neeravk

I realize the fact 'build_php_worker538.2.sh' has been rebuilt by us to work on the x64 platform, and in past tests it has. To further address the issue we must continue our thread from the support ticket, this way we will have all the information. Please reply to that ticket so we can see it and continue.

(01 May '12, 02:48) johns
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262
×11
×1
×1

question asked: 30 Apr '12, 13:21

question was seen: 3,246 times

last updated: 01 May '12, 02:48

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM