WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi there,

I've experienced load times that would seem unnecessarily long so I did a speed test. It seems that the "time to first byte" is extremely long.

Is there any way that I could improve the loading time of this page? (other than combining and compressing the Javascript and css files).

My site is hosted on web209, an Amsterdam based server and I live less than 40km's from Amsterdam and have 60Mbit connection. I can ping web209.webfaction.com in about 15ms. Still the TTFB is alomst 7 seconds. alt text alt text

asked 04 May '12, 10:09

comheroes
accept rate: 0%

edited 04 May '12, 10:12

It looks to me like your app is taking a while to process the request before it returns the response. You might be able to reduce the response time by configuring the app to use FastCGI instead of regular PHP-CGI. You can do so by adding the following to your app's .htaccess:

<FilesMatch \.php$>
    SetHandler php53-fcgi
</FilesMatch>

In that configuration, your site will be served by a persistent FastCGI process, so you won't incur the overhead of spawning a new CGI process for every request.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 04 May '12, 13:09

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Thanks! I'll give that a go

(06 May '12, 15:04) comheroes

It seems to be working! That's awesome :)

(06 May '12, 15:16) comheroes

Ehr.. I've found something pretty strange that I can't get my head around.

When you try to load a page in Safari (on a mac at least) it still opens very slowly (up to 12 seconds before anything appears). The first time I loaded webfaction.com it was very slow as well, but at other times webfaction got fast but my websites were still slow.

The thing which I don't understand is that my apps (the symfony apps) load fast enough in Firefox, Chrome, Opera, but are lagging big time in Safari.

You can see www.rhodanventures.com, dev.comheroes.nl or porpoise.comheroes.nl for examples of the Symfony app. To see the difference.. www.comheroes.nl is a plain old html/css website on the same Webfaction server.

Got any clue what this issue might be?

(08 May '12, 03:24) comheroes

I can't reproduce this on Safari on OSX, both sites load quickly. It sounds like a local browser/plugin issue or other software issue specific to that browser. To get more info you should enable 'develop' mode in Safari (preferences-> advanced-> show develop menu) And than use the network inspector to see what parts of the site are taking to long to load. When I do this the site loads within 2-4 seconds, I am on a high latency (1500ms) connection.

(08 May '12, 17:17) johns

Well, I am not the most tech-savy person, but I found help for improving TTFB from here: http://www.codestance.com/articles-archive/time-to-first-byte-startup-diagnostics-27 . Together with infinite, regular speed testing you can get it fixed in no time. When it comes to WP platform - as I use it and am most familiar with enhancing that - I suggest mainly 2 things: cut down on plugins that use up too much resource and change the theme! To stop my site from suffering high bounce rate, I decided to go for changing the theme and found tremendous help for doing so from here: https://ttfbtest.com/. Sometimes truly the best way is the most simple! For me it helped and if anyone here is also struggling with WP platform, I suggest do the same.

permanent link

answered 07 Apr '16, 14:06

eppk
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×7

question asked: 04 May '12, 10:09

question was seen: 7,593 times

last updated: 07 Apr '16, 14:06

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM