WebFaction
Community site: login faq

OK, so I am not the most experienced of web devs, but I have googled my options to death, so any advice would be appreciated...

My goal: have a working trac with subversion (mercurial) linked into it, and a simple hours-tracking plugin.

My dilema: First I tried the straightforward GUI option WebFaction offers. I tried in vain to get any plugin functionality, but I was completely stumped. most things said to restart apache, but that WebFaction's CGI hosting (used in the GUI easy-setup) did not support restarting. Furthermore, the performance of CGI was abysmal, taking 5-8 seconds to load pages which should be instant.

Next, I tried utilizing mod_wsgi, as it was the next best thing, and would allow me to have better control over Trac, and eliminate the lag time. After many failed attempts to solve "ImportError: No module named trac.web.main", Including re-installing trac a dozen times in different ways, trying many different configurations, adding modules, and adding trac to every library I could, I looked into nginx + uwsgi (the combo used to host django at my work, though my interaction with it is limitted). I've successfully set up nginx, and installed uwsgi, but I can't seem to get the symlink to play nice. Navigating to the site always gives a generic "welcome to nginx!" message.

mod_python has better instructions, but it's not reccomended from what ive seen, as the project is a zombie, so I haven't tried it.

I'm farily new to Trac, I am a Django webapp dev by trade, and haven't branched out much. Ideally I would host both django and trac on an nginx/uwsgi instance, or simply link trac into an existing django project (django works fine for me using the default GUI setup WebFaction offers).

So, thoughts? Anything would be appreciated!

asked 06 May '12, 19:51

Dreadicon
accept rate: 0%

I'm not able to reproduce the "welcome to nginx" message at all, and the symlink app itself does not appear to be on the same website record as your uwsgi app. Can you tell us where you are seeing this problem?

(06 May '12, 22:15) ryans ♦♦

Apparently I had messed something up; I fixed it and it is once again giving the error. I did not create a symlink app separately, as nothing mentioned I had to do this. Here is the tutorial I most closely followed: http://community.webfaction.com/questions/143/uwsgi-for-better-performance-and-memory-usage I have referenced and tried solutions from countless others. I am now getting no errors, but no results either.

(06 May '12, 22:55) Dreadicon

My guess is that there are issues with the nginx configuration - can you file a support ticket so that we can take a closer look?

We can then update this with the solution, for the benefit of others, once it is resolved. Thanks!

(07 May '12, 01:05) ryans ♦♦

Submitted a ticket. On another note, I now am slightly more knowledgeable about how everything works thanks to some further general study, and I can more accurately define what I am trying to do.

I have NGINX as the server (as I understand it, the program which routes incoming traffic to a destination), and uWSGI to act as the application container (the program which actually 'powers' the virtual environment/python interpreter) for my various apps.

My plan is to use a single instance of NGINX for each domain (currently only two), and run multiple apps behind the same NGINX instance, for example Trac and django, most commonly.

My problem does seem to be with the NGINX config or the uWSGI implementation I used, but I still can't decipher where exactly the problem lies. I have poured through various tutorials, but am still coming up with nothing I've done wrong. I am going to try following a tutorial by the letter setting up django under it while waiting for support. Thanks again for help!

(07 May '12, 18:38) Dreadicon
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×908
×186
×26
×17

question asked: 06 May '12, 19:51

question was seen: 2,837 times

last updated: 07 May '12, 18:38

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM