WebFaction
Community site: login faq

When I open - mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com I want to show up www.mydomain.com

How to create this record in the control panel? Control panel is a bit confusing for configuring records. I did not find much help/use-cases in documentation either.

From my understanding - I should create a CNAME record in DNS-overrides Section right?
i.e For sub-domain www.mydomain.com Create CNAME record = mydomain.com. Is this the right way?

PS: I'm pointing my NS records purchased in another registrar to WebFaction Name Servers.

Followup Question,

When adding new records, I don't see the TTL Field entry?
So this makes me think - what is the time for propogation of new Records when we are using webfaction Name Servers?

asked 13 May '12, 23:20

Prajwal
accept rate: 33%

Hi Prajwal,

The solution we'd recommend would be to use Apache's rewriting functionality. To do this with WebFaction you need to create a new Application in your control panel of category Static & type Static/CGI/PHP. Then create a new Website for the mydomain.com domain in your control panel and point it to the new static application. Detailed instructions for configuring Apache's redirect rules in this new static app can be found here:

http://docs.webfaction.com/software/static.html#redirect-a-domain-with-a-static-cgi-php-app

Regards,

Wayne K

WebFaction Support

permanent link

answered 13 May '12, 23:53

waynek
accept rate: 27%

edited 13 May '12, 23:54

Thanks. will look into it. :)

(14 May '12, 00:50) Prajwal

Doesn't URL redirects effect Search Engine results?

(14 May '12, 01:02) Prajwal

Yes, that is why the tutorial does a 301 redirect instead of 302 which is search engine friendly.

(14 May '12, 01:23) neeravk
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×128
×113
×104
×3

question asked: 13 May '12, 23:20

question was seen: 4,546 times

last updated: 14 May '12, 01:23

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM