WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I followed this post to install nginx and use it to serve another django app- http://www.ravelrumba.com/blog/install-nginx-webfaction/ I had started nginx using sbin/nginx as mentioned in the post. I closed that ssh session, so server kept running. I now want to restart and to my utter frustration can't figure out how. Furthermore, I can't see any relevant logs, I checked /home/logs/user and /home/logs/frontend and nginx/logs and there are older files in there but nothing that seems continuously updating (my website is running and some actions are not working and I get 'page unavailable' error but none of these logs show anything. I have tried ps -ef | grep nginx to figure out nginx pid and restart but when I try to kill one of the nginx processes, it says permission denied. sbin/nginx stop or start or restart doesn't work. It must be sounding pretty silly but have tried for hours now, would appreciate any help.

ADD: Also, tried the following- [xxx@xxx nginx]$ sbin/nginx -s quit nginx: [error] open() "/home/nistha/webapps/nginx/logs/nginx.pid" failed (2: No such file or directory) [xxx@xxx nginx]$ sbin/nginx -s reload nginx: [error] open() "/home/nistha/webapps/nginx/logs/nginx.pid" failed (2: No such file or directory)

asked 15 May '12, 20:58

nistha
accept rate: 0%

edited 15 May '12, 21:09

I followed this post to install nginx and use it to serve another django app- http://www.ravelrumba.com/blog/install-nginx-webfaction/ I had started nginx using sbin/nginx as mentioned in the post. I closed that ssh session, so server kept running. I now want to restart and to my utter frustration can't figure out how. Furthermore, I can't see any relevant logs, I checked /home/logs/user and /home/logs/frontend and nginx/logs and there are older files in there but nothing that seems continuously updating (my website is running and some actions are not working and I get 'page unavailable' error but none of these logs show anything. I have tried ps -ef | grep nginx to figure out nginx pid and restart but when I try to kill one of the nginx processes, it says permission denied. sbin/nginx stop or start or restart doesn't work. It must be sounding pretty silly but have tried for hours now, would appreciate any help.

Our frontend server is also nginx so when you did:

ps -ef | grep nginx

you must have tried to kill one of those processes, which you can't.

The correct command to find out the PID for your nginx is:

ps -F -u $USER

You can then do a "kill -9 <pid>".

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 15 May '12, 21:55

neeravk
1.5k3412
accept rate: 41%

edited 15 May '12, 21:55

So, do I need to configure my own nginx? Or you automatically use it when I run gunicorn?

(16 May '12, 22:03) nistha

I don't think you need to configure nginx if you are already using gunicorn. Is there a specific purpose for which you need Nginx?

(16 May '12, 22:09) neeravk

never mind, my app was running through gunicorn and nginx was not up

permanent link

answered 15 May '12, 22:16

nistha
accept rate: 0%

edited 15 May '12, 22:28

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×906
×186

question asked: 15 May '12, 20:58

question was seen: 3,391 times

last updated: 16 May '12, 22:09

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM