WebFaction
Community site: login faq

My site offers users the ability to send each other private messages. Each time this happens, I utilize Django's EmailMessage class. In other words, I don't queue anything, instead just send the e-mail then and there.

My question: Is it possible that the app. is crapping out if many users are utilizing this functionality at the same time? And if so, are these errors being logged anywhere?

asked 03 Dec '10, 17:49

aa56280
accept rate: 0%

It is possible. A failed send should be logged in the apache logs. Django must connect to our SMTP servers to send mail. Only we have access to the SMTP logs. If you would like us to take a look please submit a support ticket with the e-mail address, mailbox name and app name and we can take a closer look.

permanent link

answered 03 Dec '10, 19:02

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Thanks for the quick response. I don't see any errors in the logs. I'll submit a ticket shortly to see if you folks can find something in the SMTP logs.

(03 Dec '10, 23:12) aa56280

This does raise an interesting question: how many SMTP connections can I have open concurrently?

(04 Dec '10, 00:07) aa56280

There is no hard-set limit on the concurrent connections. There is a limit, however, on the messages you can send per 24 hours - 500 messages by default. This limit is noted at http://www.webfaction.com/legal/tos

(04 Dec '10, 02:24) tie
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×6

question asked: 03 Dec '10, 17:49

question was seen: 4,025 times

last updated: 04 Dec '10, 02:24

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM