WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi!

I'm trying to get redmine to receive mail from an imap mailbox.

I tried to follow the redmine wiki and create a cron task: rake -f /home/prudata/webapps/redmine/redmine/Rakefile redmine:email:receive_imap RAILS_ENV="production" host=mail.webfaction.com username=xxx password=yyy project=ses tracker=Question

but this won't work since I cannot run it:

$ rake -f /home/prudata/webapps/redmine/redmine/Rakefile redmine:email:receive_imap RAILS_ENV="production" host=mail.webfaction.com username=xxx password=yyy project=ses tracker=Question Redmine requires Bundler. Please install it with gem install bundler.

I cannot run gem install bundler as non-root.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob

asked 25 May '12, 04:50

prudata
accept rate: 0%

We have documented how to install a gem for a specific web application here, rather than server-wide, which needs root privileges.

permanent link

answered 25 May '12, 08:34

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

This is not a direct reply to the question answered above but I think it should be handy for many people. I found it very easy to get this working using a Webfaction email mailbox and the handy feature they have with email addresses to automatically run a processing script.

1. create a dedicated mailbox for my redmine webapp (I suppose this part is actually optional)
  2. create an email address to go with that mailbox. configure this to run a script in your home directory and optionally store emails to your mailbox too
  3. create the script in your home dir. call it, for example, redmine_email_input.sh
  4. mark it as executable by running chmod a+x email_input.sh

Here's roughly what my email_input.sh file looks like:

#!/bin/bash

APP=$HOME/webapps/mywebappdirectory RAKE=$APP/bin/rake

ARGS="project=myredmineproject tracker=bug allow_override=tracker,priority"

GEM_HOME=$APP/gems $RAKE -f $APP/redmine/Rakefile redmine:email:read RAILS_ENV="production" $ARGS

This process comes partly from instructions here: http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/RedmineReceivingEmails#Reading-emails-from-standard-input

The process above works like a charm and, as an added bonus, updates received by email are processed and added to redmine almost instantly. It is a push solution rather than one requiring polling of an imap or pop inbox.

permanent link

answered 09 Oct '13, 11:49

billh
accept rate: 0%

edited 09 Oct '13, 11:51

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×69
×46
×22
×6
×3

question asked: 25 May '12, 04:50

question was seen: 5,967 times

last updated: 09 Oct '13, 11:51

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM