WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Please forgive my newbie question. I have extensive C#/php web dev. experience, and some python (non web), but absolutely no web2py or any 'web app using python' experience. I've started using web2py on my local machine, and it's fine. I don't have IIS, Apache, lightppd or any other server running on my local; I like that! Now, can I run this way on WebFaction? I've seen some questions about running web2py with lightppd or Apache; why not just use the built-in web2py server? Or am I horribly misunderstanding what web2py is giving me and what I need?

The app I'm building will have a small db and will process dozens of requests per hour, so it's pretty small. So:

1. If I'm on the wrong track, can you point me in the direction of an url that can give me some guidance?

2. Can I use the built-in server from web2py on WebFaction?

3. Should I use the built-in server from web2py on WebFaction?

Thanks!

MJF

asked 25 May '12, 15:18

mflanagan
accept rate: 0%

The built-in python web-server is made for local development.

When you load it with more than 1 concurrent user race conditions and threading problems happen.

This is why you have to use a 'real' web-server like Apache, with a module for reading python like mod wsgi or one of the others, since they are made to scale. The server app deals with concurrent users and the mod_wsgi plugin converts the python into html the server can read dynamically. These programs together is referred to as the 'server stack'

Most web2py developers use our 'Apache/Mod_wsgi' server stack installer.

The process for that is basically, install the server stack in the control panel, upload your web2py app, configure the httpd.conf file and .wsgi file to point to your web2py index.py file.

But Apache/mod_wsgi is not the only option. Another option would be nginx/uwsgi, we have a community post which covers that here.

permanent link

answered 25 May '12, 18:15

johns
5.4k412
accept rate: 23%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×98
×24

question asked: 25 May '12, 15:18

question was seen: 3,588 times

last updated: 25 May '12, 18:15

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM