WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm working on a CherryPy 3 web app. I'm building a local testing server on my Mac, and the only way I can get the CherryPy server to accept connection from other devices on the network is to change the server.socket_host. In the template file provided by WebFaction's app setup, server.socket_host is set to 127.0.0.1. From the CherryPy documentation, you set it to 0.0.0.0 to allow connections from any host. Setting it to 0.0.0.0 seems not to break anything, but I figured there is probably a reason that the default is set to localhost. Is it safe to change this to 0.0.0.0 on the server, or should I maintain two versions, one for testing and one for deployment?

asked 31 May '12, 12:09

ZevEisenberg
accept rate: 0%

The difference is 0.0.0.0 is all the IPs on the server while 127.0.0.1 is only localhost. Since we block external IPs based on port and IP it should be no more or less secure to bind it to 0.0.0.0 but it may be technically safer, but only by a little. It is up to you which you bind on, as long as you are obeying the port you are assigned by the control panel.

permanent link

answered 31 May '12, 17:09

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×337
×32
×11

question asked: 31 May '12, 12:09

question was seen: 4,961 times

last updated: 31 May '12, 17:09

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM