WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

I am following the directions here for installing the django debug toolbar, but am encountering an error on step 1 part d:

TEST FAILED: /home/<username>/webapps/<myproject>/lib/python2.7/ does NOT support .pth files
error: bad install directory or PYTHONPATH
You are attempting to install a package to a directory that is not on PYTHONPATH and which Python does not read ".pth" files from.  The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or the distutils default setting) was:

Even though I added this directory to my PYTHONPATH and django exists inside that folder. Any ideas as to what might be the culprit?

Thanks for any suggestions

asked 03 Jun '12, 21:41

Nick_B
accept rate: 0%

I can't think of any reason why the documentation would not work in your case. Can you open a ticket where we can try this under your account to reproduce the problem? Then, once resolved, we can answer this question with the solution.

(03 Jun '12, 22:44) ryans ♦♦

After facing this problem again with a different application, I chose to install using pip to install account-wide:

pip-2.7 install django-debug-toolbar

rather than using easy-install and editing my PYTHONPATH. After that, you can go straight to configuring settings.py to include the debug toolbar.

Another option for anyone facing PYTHONPATH issues.

permanent link

answered 26 Sep '12, 19:31

Nick_B
accept rate: 0%

edited 26 Sep '12, 20:11

bmeyer71 ♦♦
1.5k3613

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×102
×15
×13
×1

question asked: 03 Jun '12, 21:41

question was seen: 3,193 times

last updated: 26 Sep '12, 20:11

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM